General discussion

Print Parameter Error

Running XPPro two printers - HP Photosmart7960 and Lexmark125. The print setting for printing documents Front to Back has somehow reversed and I have not been able to change. It is the same for both printers and all software that I have tried so it must be in a XP setting. I have changed the default settings in every place I can find without any help. Any suggestions? Registry?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Print Parameter Error
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Print Parameter Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: Print Parameter Error

I've found that if such a feature it's present on some printers, it can be modified by right clicking the Printer and select "Printer Preferences" option.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

- Collapse -

Thanks for the reply. I have done that on both printers and in the default properties for XP.

- Collapse -

I have now checked more closely the print settings for the two printers. The Lexmark124 WAS set to print back to front and when that was changed it printed as I wanted - front to back. I reinstalled the latest driver for the Photosmart 7960 without any change to the way it printed. The default print settings are front to back and the Photosmart still prints back to front. This would not be a great problem except it causes checks printed from Quicken to print in error so the numbering sequence is in error. I don't know when this happened so I can't reconstruct what I did to create the problem. Hope someone comes along that has a solution.

- Collapse -

OK, for Lexmark it was an oversight. For HP, in such cases you can try

- Change the option and test. Revert and test.

- Unplug HP powercord and replug it.

- Run some utilities inside Toolbox.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

- Collapse -
Tried those suggestions...

I have tried those suggestions except running "utilities inside toolbox." I don't find any utilities in the toolbox for this printer. Doing what you suggested of changing the option and testing worked. I have now found that the default parameter has become reversed - if front to back is selected it sets the default print to back to front and if back to front is selected it sets the default print to front to back. At least now I have a consistent way to use the printer and am able to print sequence critical things like pre-numbered checks. This is a printer that supports a network so consistency is necessary to know what will print. Computers are wonderful things - they do things very fast even if they are wrong.

I will have to look again what I said about the Lexmark I tested it with this new revelation and it works the same as the HP. I believe the parameter has become out of sync in the registry and if I knew where it was I could correct it without much trouble. Thanks for the input. Maybe if we keep trying someone will find the fix and let us know.

- Collapse -
You are welcome. I wish you Good Luck ?

? in finding the culprit. As you can see, sometimes we find workarounds and life goes on.

However, I really doubt that someone will investe any effort for this kind of problem. You're not familiar with various Forums in the Internet and Tech Supports , aren't you ? Usually their answer is to start from scratch.

Yet another solved thread. Problem closed from my point of view.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

- Collapse -
Thanks and closing note

I agree another thread solved.

As a final note - I got a response in another newsgroup that one person had had this problem since 98SE and continuing till now. Since mine started in XP after once working I would assume (bad idea with computers) that something we do causes the fault. I also bet that the outher individual upgraded 98SE to XP without the benefit of a new install getting the kinks out.

Thanks again for all of the help and good luck to all.

CNET Forums

Forum Info