Computer Help forum

General discussion

Print off internet

I ran across an item in an article on the internet that I wanted to print out.
The item was in the middle of the article and it would have printed out about six pages.
How can I print out just the item I want?

Thanks,Roy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Print off internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Print off internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Copy and Paste

In reply to: Print off internet

Highlight the section you want, hit Ctrl-C, open up Notepad or Wordpad, hit Ctrl-V, print.

You can also use the "Copy" and "Paste" options under the Edit menu.

Collapse -
Simple Method?

In reply to: Copy and Paste

The method I use is to highlight the section I want to print and then check "Selection" from the Print drop-down menu. There may be some issues with font size and appearance otherwise it's quick and easy.

Collapse -
IIRC

In reply to: Simple Method?

That method isn't applicable to all printers or programs. My method will work whether you're dealing with a web browser, word processor, or virtually anything else that can display text. It also works across platforms with only minor changes. On a Mac, instead of Ctrl, you'd hold the Apple/Command button, and on *nixes such as Linux, it'd be Alt instead of Ctrl.

Of course on something like Linux, you can just do in-place copy and paste. Highlight a section, and then middle click where you want to paste it. Really handy since all X11 programs inherit this ability. It can also copy in rich text, so formatting is preserved.

Also, Internet Explorer (not sure if it still exists in 7) has a rather annoying habit of truncating text along the right margin. This is avoided by copying and pasting. Worst you'd have to deal with, is Notepad not having word wrapping on by default.

Finally, it's always good to have a fallback option or two in case your initial method doesn't work. If your printer dies, or is otherwise incapacitated for a time, this allows you to save the text you want, so if your Internet connection then also goes out, you can still print the info once you get your printer back in action.

Collapse -
I like Shocker's "Simple Method"

In reply to: Print off internet

Highlight the section.
In the Print window, choose "Selection" as your print range.

Works for me almost all the time.

Collapse -
Print off internet

In reply to: I like Shocker's "Simple Method"

Hi,
thanks to the ones who answered my question. I was able to copy and paste to notepad and then printed without any problem.
Thanks,
Roy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.