General discussion

I have an old Sony VAIO (running Win Xp) that I am using a print server. The VAIO is connected to a HP PSC. The VAIO is on a wireless network along with two other laptops. One laptop is running Win Xp and the other is running Vista. Everything was working fine as far as printing went until I reinstalled the OS on the Win Xp machine (same OS). Previously the VAIO would go offline due to hibernation and so if I tried to print something from the Xp machine, it would get in the queue and get printed when I turned the VAIO on. Now the print jobs are not getting in a queue when the VAIO is offline.I don't know what I did right before and so I don't know how to remedy the problem. Help!

Discussion is locked
Follow
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sounds proper to me.

While you could spend time on this why not print while it's online?

My only thought is to system restore to when it worked.
Bob

- Collapse -
Sounds proper to me.

"While you could spend time on this why not print while it's online?

My only thought is to system restore to when it worked."

1.Well it is a matter of convenience (or rather laziness). My printer and server are downstairs while I usually work upstairs on my Xp machine. Whenever I saw some interesting article, I used to send it to the printer and collect all my print jobs later when I went downstairs. Now I have to go downstairs to turn my server on every time I want to print.

2. I don't have a restore point as I did a fresh install of the OS.

I need to get the print jobs to go into the spool folder. I don't know why it was doing so before and now it isn't.

- Collapse -
I might be way off base here

just a thought...
Have you checked the print spooler in services (run-services.msc)

Double-click on 'Print Spooler', Startup Type-->switch from 'Manual' to 'Automatic'

- Collapse -
I might be way off base here

I checked it. It is set to "Automatic". Thanks.

- Collapse -
Here, We Don't Let The Server Standby/Hibernate

It runs all the time that printing might be possible and we turn it off when printing won't be possible, such as at night. It only needs a trip to the server once in the morning and once at night.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Here, We Don't Let The Server Standby/Hibernate

Sometimes I don't print for days. So I thought it was rather pointless having the server on all the time. By the way this is at my home.

- Collapse -
(NT) Then We Turn It OFF For Days Till Printing Is Needed
- Collapse -
NT) Then We Turn It OFF For Days Till Printing Is Needed

Good God, why didn't I think of that?

I am looking for a technical solution. Otherwise I wouldn't be posting on a forum.

- Collapse -
Just ideas.

When the printer server is running and when it is not try the control panel, printers and see what printer is default. Hopefully it never changes automagically.

Next you explore ALL the properties of the printers and I apologize I don't know what options you find there.

If that fails my only thought is to use CCLEANER from download.com with the default settings to clean up both machines. I've seen odd things like that when TEMP folders are cluttered.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info