Storage forum

General discussion

Primary drive 0 not found, strike the F1 key to continue

by tinman6g / April 11, 2005 6:25 AM PDT

Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 purchaed 1 1/2 years ago. About 2-3 weeks ago, I installsed a 200 GB Maxtor 7200 ATA 133 in the machine in addition to the 40GB original drive.

A week later, the system acted funny by making a sound (HD) and giving me the follwoing message:

Primary drive 0 not found, strike the F1 key to continue, F2 key to run the setup utility. The following morning the system worked fine. A couple of days ago it came up with the message but it did not work in the morning. I moved the controller wires around but no luck.

Any idea how I can get my machine working? At this time I will be happy with having access to my original drive!! Thanks
Tinman6g

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Primary drive 0 not found, strike the F1 key to continue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Primary drive 0 not found, strike the F1 key to continue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Serial ATA - F2 to continue
by GIS / April 24, 2005 4:35 PM PDT

I am also a Dell Owner and recently installed an IDE in addition to my Serial ATA. I began receiving a similar error but only after powering off the machine. A restart would go cleanly so it appeared sporadic. You will probably be able to duplicate this after a complete shutdown.

Anyway, I will make a couple assumptions.

1) You are installing a Serial ATA in addition to your Primary IDE Hard Drive.

Here is how I believe I resolved my issue.

Go into Bios - Press F2 for setup.
Serial ATA will probably say say Yes - Press the Space Bar and turn it Off.
You should see the Bios request status for two ATA drives. Under your Serial ATA Drive 1 - set it to Auto ( so that it will autodetect on bootup.)

After rebooting, you should get a message 'new hardware found'
Shutdown and reboot the system. Your F1/F2 to continue error should go away because you are forcing your system to recognize the hard drive in question and not confuse it with other.

If this still doesn't work, a slightly riskier steup would be to set your Primary IDE Drive in Bios to Auto and make sure all Other IDE Drives (Primary/Secondary) are set to OFF.

Here is a link from Western Digital to look at for checking your jumper settings on your primary IDE drive.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_cv=1.123%3B2.u0&p_pv=&p_prods=0&p_cats=123&p_hidden_prods=&prod_lvl1=0&cat_lvl1=123&p_search_text=jumper+settings&p_new_search=1&p_search_type=answers.search_fnl

Best Wishes on resolving this. I hope I helped a little.

Michael

Collapse -
Maxtors
by simmo8403 / April 24, 2005 10:37 PM PDT

I had this problem.

My research leads me to believe it is a common problem take a look at this link:

http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/maxtor-hard-disk-recovery.htm

I rang these guys and they told me it is normally one of 2 things, if it is clicking or making a 'musical' tone it is mechanical fault, if it is quiet then it is most likely a firmware fault. No cheap way of fixing them unfortunately!! I don't know what firmware is exctly in relation to a hard disk drive but there you go! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!