TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Price Alert: HD-A3 + 7 movies = $99

by jostenmeat / February 20, 2008 2:17 AM PST

at CC. 2 with player, 5 with mail-in.

For those who want hi-def now, on the cheap. hehe

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Price Alert: HD-A3 + 7 movies = $99
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Price Alert: HD-A3 + 7 movies = $99
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LOL
by Riverledge / February 20, 2008 1:50 PM PST

River.

Collapse -
(NT) Yes LOL, since the DH-DVD is dead. John
by jcrobso / February 20, 2008 9:09 PM PST
In reply to: LOL
Collapse -
As pointed out in other posts....
by Rollbar / February 20, 2008 9:31 PM PST

There are a lot of movies only available in HD-DVD and still quite a few to select from. Good prices now on HD-DVD movies too.

So while this isn't the future of Hi Def DVD, you still get a great picture and the cost is reasonable, (while supplies last).

Collapse -
If I were in the market for a player
by HTHMAN / February 21, 2008 1:35 AM PST

I would consider this. It is an upconverting player. You will be able to play your old DVDs and CDs on it. There are a lot of HD movies out there and a lot at bargain prices.

With the players that Toshiba has sold and the add on players from Microsoft, there are millions of people with a player. This will provide a market if some movie studios still want to produce at least some of their movies in this format.

I do not think BD will be the final answer to HD movies. I believe we will be buying movies on flash cards or viewing them on line. No matter what you buy, it will become obsolete.

Collapse -
nods to the last two
by jostenmeat / February 21, 2008 3:17 AM PST

Funny how no one says "LOL" when someone pays $230 for an Oppo. For that money, you get 17 very good looking high-definition discs and a unit to play them for you, and still with a bit of change in the pocket.

Oh ya, it also upscaled doesn't it? So if you LOL at an A-3, you should ROTFLMFAO if someone buys a DVD player at the same price, without any free movies to speak of, and can only play movies recorded in 480i.

ROTFLMFAO

Collapse -
Ok...all right....I paid 230.00 for an Oppo...
by RustyDallas / February 21, 2008 5:28 AM PST
In reply to: nods to the last two

laugh at me all you want too.

Collapse -
I am not LOL
by TomBull / February 21, 2008 3:46 AM PST

I mourn the pass of the HD-DVD because I believe the real victim is us consumer. Blu-ray player makers can now ask for the moon until the next Hi-Def gadget arrives.
BTW, I'm glad I haven't plunge in to buy either of these Hi-Def Players. I will not get a HD-DVD as a up-converter b/c I don't think Toshiba will not wholeheartedly provide supporting services to a discontinued model. And I hate filling up the landfill at the 1st time it need service.

Collapse -
WHAT I DO NOT UNDERSTAND IS WHY PEOPLE WANT BUY MOVIES......
by Riverledge / February 22, 2008 11:15 AM PST
In reply to: I am not LOL

I SEE IT ONCE, FINE. TWICE, ONLY IF I MISSED SOMETHING; OR FOR COMPANY'S SAKE. RENTING is a good way to go me.

I own a newer up-converting SONY DVD upper-middle class player.

Mostly it gathers dust.

I like the TIVO idea, but there are not ENOUGH hours in a week for me to ever watch everything I'd record.

SWEEP MONTHS (like FEB. i.e. current) screw me over.

WAIT 'til MAY when almost ALL PRIME TIME shows have new episodes, now that the writer's strike is over. Talk about OVERLOAD!!!

I bought my PANASONIC PLASMA HDTV TO WATCH TV! [(NEWS, SPORTS, PBS (yes, I contrbute.)]

Bought my computer to use as a COMPUTER.

MY audio-sound system to listen to my favorite music.

DOES ANYONE ELSE SHARE THESE PRIORITIES, BESIDES STEWEE???

Like to hear from all,

Many thanks,

Always,

River.

Collapse -
Riv, it's just that I have a real fondness for movies with
by NM_Bill / February 22, 2008 9:57 PM PST

lasting quality. Bad movies are just bad movies, like most made for TV movies. But classics, ah yes. I was a slow starter but the wife likes to watch movies while crocheting. So, it bagan as a crawl, but I developed into a hopeless film library guy. These are not the ones that you watch but once. To each his own, for sure. I have several friends & neighbors who are big on burning downloaded movies to disc. I don't know how legit their arrangements are, but I scan Amazon.com for excellent prices on used DVDs.

Maybe my age has something to do with not watching traditional network programming but once in a while. We're heavy on HGTV, Food Network, Discovery, Travel.

My living room TV is a limited version of 5.1 home theater as I want my living room to be a living room, not primarily a theater area.

And my personal music is here in the computer/home office/spare bedroom - glorious stereo sound. B&W 804s driven with bi-amped Denon 4306 through Denon 2910 universal player.

Oh yeah, the computer does not try to be interconnected with other entertainment media. With real progress in convergence, maybe someday.

Collapse -
River... oh friend, you are missing so much....
by Rollbar / February 22, 2008 10:54 PM PST

LOL

First, if I've heard this once, I've heard it a hundred times; "I don't watch enough TV to get any use out of a Tivo", (or an DVR). Your statement is a variation but along the same lines.

It's not about how much you do, or don't, watch it's about watching at your convenience when you do, and ..... this is a big "and" .... it's about skipping through commercials to reduce that 60 minute broadcast to 40 minutes or that 3 hour ball game to two hours. It's about maximizing your valuable time. I?m frustrated now, by having to watch a live broadcast, as usually happens with Mrs Rollbar. I don?t want to watch the commercials. (Except that Taco Bell commercial where the guy winks at the office worker and you hear the bullwhip snap. Love her reaction and she?s a cutie.)

So on to movies... Like NM, movies mean more to me than a moments entertainment. Sure, there are a lot I never need to see again but others I like to watch from time to time. Not necessarily the entire movie but scenes I particularly liked or performances that I thought were noteworthy. This is a personal preference thing. Not for everyone but certainly for some. I'd go on to say it's likely a significant number of folks since its a huge industry and many people have movie collections, large or small. I also watch them while working out on the elliptical machine.

Still value your opinion on everything else though bud... Happy (just not on the use of DVRs or movie collections.)

Gary

Collapse -
Buying movies
by HTHMAN / February 23, 2008 5:33 AM PST

Back in the VCR days, I never bought a movie. I had HBO or Showtime and would record what I wanted to watch. I did not buy DVDs for a long time, but once I started, the library really grew. Dolby pro-logic just did not compare with 5.1 surround, so I lost intrest in recording the HBOs. I found that there were only 3 or 4 movies a month that you really wanted to see. For what I paid a month, I could buy what I wanted.

Amazon is a great place with great prices on new releases. I go to Blockbuster and Holywood and buy a lot of previously viewed DVDs at great prices and with a guarantee.

You can trade DVDs with friends just like you do books. Of course, thier taste is not as good as mine.

How can anyone live without a DVR??? I have 3 right now, although my High def one crapped out yesterday and I am waiting on a replacement. Looks like I will be recording in SD for a few days. If you have a DVR, you save time because there are only 40 minutes of programming in a network hour. If you watch 4 recorded shows, it only takes you 3 hours. Once you get used to recording and watching while recording, you can not go back to regular TV viewing. You can even go to the bathroom when you want to, not when a commercial comes on. You can even see every play of a football game in about an hour or do your own instant replays.

My computer is used mostly as a computer--so far.

Collapse -
I WANT TO THANK YOU GUYS, BILL, ROLLBAR, & HTHMAN FOR YOUR..
by Riverledge / February 23, 2008 6:34 AM PST

...INPUT! NOW I UNDERSTAND YOUR REASONING FOR BUYING DVDS AND TIVO (DVR) DEDICATION.

RIGHT NOW I'M WATCHING DUKE/ST.JOHN BBALL GAME; I'M A DUKE FAN BUT HAVE NO DESIRE TO RECORD IT.

AS MENTIONED IN YOUR ANSWERS: TO EACH HIS/HER OWN. I HAVE MAYBE 50 DVDS. ALL BASICALLY CLASSICS, BUT I NEVER REALLY WATCH THEM EXCEPT TO
ENTERTAIN.

I DO APPRECIATE YOUR VIEWS ON NOT COMBINING PCs WITH HD SYSYEMS.

Best to all, thanks again,

Riverledge.

Collapse -
Baghdad Bob and HD DVD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2008 4:09 AM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!