Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Prevx or Spyware Doctor? I can't use both

by bglover51 / July 5, 2005 11:18 PM PDT

I have discovered that I cannot run both Prevx and Spyware Doctor's resident protection. I already use Spyware Guard and Spyware Blaster which, I believe, covers 90% or more of the same protections as Spyware Doctor's resident protection program.

If I do run both, my computer consistently hits 100% processes and it becomes barely useful. If I turn off either program things run fine (since I run so much anti virus/spyware stuff, my pc's processor has always run a bit hot as it is).

Any suggestions which one I need more given the above scenario?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Prevx or Spyware Doctor? I can't use both
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Prevx or Spyware Doctor? I can't use both
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi bglover51
by roddy32 / July 6, 2005 12:07 AM PDT

It would probably be better to wait for someone that has used both Prevx and Spyware Doctor because I have never used either but my situation is similiar. I DO use SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard plus I have the Realtime protection turned on with MSAS. I also use Spybot's host's file. I just tried a 14 day trial version of Ewido which is an excellent trojan scanner and also offers a Process Guard similiar to the others. I noticed immediately that it took longer for any of my regular programs to come with when I clicked on them but I stayed with it for the 2 weeks. Yesterday the trial was over and the Process Guard was disabled and everything works normal again. What I am saying is that it might be a trial and error procedure for you as it was for me, even though we are just trying different programs.

Collapse -
ACtually, that's how I discovered it myself
by bglover51 / July 6, 2005 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi bglover51

Except I was using A squared, not Ewido, as my trojan protection. I found that I couldn't also run Prevx so I disabled it until my free trial ran out. Then reenabled it today and was still running hot. Tben I disabled Spyware Doctor and things were immediately fine.

I use TDS-3 for trojans as my primary scanner. Since it's the free version it lacks resident protection against trojans. (It is a great scanner, however, better than Ewido, Trojan Hunter or A squared-- I've tried them all).

I am hoping Prevx can help serve that function. My understanding is that it will not ID specific trojans but would alert me to any trojan activity. I can then scan with TDS.

Maybe I am wrong on this. If so, someone please correct me. (FWIW I also am running WinPatrol in addition to the others and scan with Adaware and Spybot as well).

Collapse -
Actually I would be more
by roddy32 / July 6, 2005 12:30 AM PDT

worried about the "getting hot" problem than anything else. All these scanners that we have mentioned are good. I use a-squared also but I didn't mention it because I have the free version so the guard is not activated. Ewido is the only one of the bunch that will remove qoologic and some of the other new trojans. I think the trojan scanners are like the spyware scanners in the way that there is NO one program that gets it all. I have been tempted to try WinPatrol and Prevx myself at one point but I have not as of yet. A lot of the things that I try, I do for test purposes so I can honestly answer someone when they ask a question about any or all of the above. LOL
TDS-3, TrojanHunter, The CleanerPro are ALL good IMO along with most of the others but I still feel that one will pick up what the other misses. It's a matter of finding the correct programs that play well together for your particular situation.

Collapse -
I am worried about it
by bglover51 / July 6, 2005 12:47 AM PDT

My processor often spikes around 50% running all these protection programs and know that it shouldn't cuz it will shorten it's life, but I also don't care to be under protected. I know there are some utilities to help allocate processing more efficiently on Major Geeks. I posted in utilties forum for a recommendation.

Collapse -
I am not a computer tech but
by roddy32 / July 6, 2005 12:51 AM PDT
In reply to: I am worried about it

maybe you should post the question about the heat in the PC Hardware forum and somebody might be able to recommend a way of putting an extra fan in the computer or some similiar suggestion.

Collapse -
Good idea...
by bglover51 / July 6, 2005 1:29 AM PDT

I'll do that, thanx. I have a Radio Shack nearby, they probably have puter fans... I been watching my processor since your last post.. it is typically running at 16% with spikes over 30% regularly.. thats just too much.

Collapse -
Here is a link for
by roddy32 / July 6, 2005 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Good idea...

a really good free program that will list everything thing you can imagine about the hardware on your computer. You can also print out reports for either yourself or anybody that is going to work on it. It's called Everest Home Edition.
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Tnx, looks similar to Belarc Advisor but I'll check it
by bglover51 / July 6, 2005 1:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Here is a link for
Collapse -
This is much more detailed for
by roddy32 / July 6, 2005 1:46 AM PDT

hardware than Belarc. I use BOTH myself, Belarc for software and Everest for hardware. They are set up differently. Everest actually has a program interface and BOTH programs are extremely helpful.

Collapse -
Think I can turn off Teatimer
by bglover51 / July 6, 2005 1:55 AM PDT

There seems to be enough redundancy between Prevx, WinPatrol and SpyWare Blaster/Guard to maybe get rid of that and cool things down a little that way.

Anyone have a good reason why I shouldn't shut down Teatimer, is there anything I'll be open to? Currently running Prevx, WinPatrol, Spyware Guard, Spyware Blaster and TeaTimer.

Collapse -
I have never been infected
by roddy32 / July 6, 2005 2:02 AM PDT

and I don't use TeaTimer myself. I use the hosts file and the SDHelper for IE in Spybot. I have never been infected with anything other than tracking cookies occasionally which are no big deal IMO. I use Ad-Aware and CCleaner to get rid of those.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?