General discussion

preventing users from changing registry

Hi everyone,
My son knows more about computers than I do. I am fairly computer literate, but he knows how to write scripts to hack the registry. He does things like tell the computer to shut down at a predetermined time, creates log on loops, and can do all sorts of wierd, bad, cool etc things with the registry. Is there anyway, short of prohibiting him from using the computer that I can prevent him from making changes to the registry. I have tried putting him as a limited user, but then he cannot burn dvd's, install programs, etc. He is an i.t. student at a vocational school and I dont want to totally restrict his access. I just dont want him to be able to change the registry (other than regular stuff like installing programs etc) Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: preventing users from changing registry
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: preventing users from changing registry
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Get him. . .

his own machine.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) nothing like rewarding bad behavior
- Collapse -
Give them a "limited" account.

Not much will work....

And they won't be able to install anything.

Bob

- Collapse -
Its not bad behaviour..

its a smart kid, unless he used it for crime... you should be proud to have a smart kid.

You can disable regedit, BUT that's it... NO ONE will be able to use it forever (unless they have some other program for it). -- http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/190/ --

So, either give him a computer or atleast like Bob said, give him a limited user account (although with such smart kid, he will be able to have access to administrator account)

Have a nice weekend

CNET Forums

Forum Info