Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Preventing File & Print Sharing in SP2 ?

by Gregory M / October 6, 2004 2:51 PM PDT

Windows XP Home, SP2, this is a single-computer, NOT networked with any other computer. I use a cable connection.

I turned the XP Firewall off (we use Norton.) In the XP firewall control there is a tab called "Exclusions." It has File and Print Sharing checked. What does that mean? I unchecked it because this made it sound like I WANTED file and print sharing, which I DO NOT.

With XP firewall turned off, what happens to file and print sharing Blocking, is that turned off too? (Is using the XP Firewall the only way to Block it?) And finally, should that "Exclusions" box be checked or not checked? We are very confused and really do not want file and print sharing enabled. Also don't want to use XP Firewall. How do we handle this matter?

Thank you kindly.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Preventing File & Print Sharing in SP2 ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Preventing File & Print Sharing in SP2 ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: to prevent File & Print Sharing
by jonah jones / October 6, 2004 7:40 PM PDT

if you use the windows firewall, the box "checked" means "allow my printer to be shared"
if you turn the (windows) firewall "OFF" then any rules you have set up are ignored...

To Change or remove permissions for a printer

Open Printers and Faxes.
Right-click the printer for which you want to change or remove permissions, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.
Click the name of the user or group whose permissions you want to change or remove.
In Permissions, click the Allow or Deny check box for each permission you want to allow or deny, if necessary. Or, to remove the user or group from the permissions list, click Remove.
To view or change the underlying permissions that make up Print, Manage Printers, and Manage Documents, click Advanced.
Notes

To open Printers and Faxes, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Printers and Faxes.

jonah

Collapse -
Re: to prevent File & Print Sharing
by Gregory M / October 7, 2004 6:42 AM PDT

I did what you said to stop the printer from being shared. Thats great, thank you. What about files themselves being shared, or being viewable? Since I don't use the XP Firewall does UNchecking the "Exclusions" box do any good at all? I keep hearing that an ISP-cable connection is a "network" and of course I want my things to be private.

Is there any other control to block file sharing? I don't mean block it from other users on this computer - I don't want my documents private from other users, I want to block outside people from viewing or getting files. I don't want things viewable through the internet. (Could this happen, maybe I am misunderstanding or exaggerating something?)

Collapse -
Re: to prevent File Sharing
by jonah jones / October 7, 2004 8:52 PM PDT

as far as i know (and as far as i understand M'soft gobbeldygook) file sharing is OFF by default...

purely for edification...
click 'my computer'
right click a drive letter
click properties
click the 'sharing' tab
click the "if you understand the risk etc..." link
read the 'sharing' info, and any links, and you'll see that XP has taken a couple of steps forward in the security field...

when you finish reading, click cancel/exit etc, and you'll know as much as me Wink

jonah

Collapse -
Re: to prevent File Sharing
by Gregory M / October 8, 2004 4:07 AM PDT

I can't get my courage up to click on that!
The way it's phrased - scares me! What will come up when I click on that?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?