General discussion

Prevent Music from Syncing

Greetings, normally I have my music stored on an external HD. When I sync my iPhone the music is synced with the content of the external drive. Were I not to have the drive turned on during the sync, iTunes would delete the music on my iPhone as it would sync the "no music" on my pc with the music on my iPhone. Now I am travelling and will be away from my external HD for about a month. I would like to add some apps to my iPhone but if I do a sync I will lose all that music until I can get back home. Not what I want to have happen. Is there any way to prevent iTunes from syncing the music, ie just letting what's there alone and syncing the rest of the content? Many thanks for any help with this. GL

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Prevent Music from Syncing
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Prevent Music from Syncing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
This will work for you

Shift + Ctrl keys in Windows or CMD + Option keys on a Mac will stop the iPhone from syncing when you connect it.

You can always add apps to your iPhone by downloading them from the App store without going into iTunes.
When you get back to the house, the next sync with the external attached will also sync the Apps from the iPhone to the Computer

P

- Collapse -
Prevent Music from Syncing

Thank you Mrmac. I'm very new to the iPhone. Yes, I imagine you can just download directly to the phone. I have a Swiss mobile and I'm in the USA so it would be an expensive option to do so unless I had a wireless hot spot to do it from. But that would be the best solution. Starbucks it is. Thanks again. GL

CNET Forums

Forum Info