Speakeasy forum

General discussion

President Bush ahead in the polls

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: President Bush ahead in the polls
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: President Bush ahead in the polls
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) excellent news - It doesn't surprise me though

In reply to: President Bush ahead in the polls

Collapse -
and President Bush doesn't have his convention bounce

yet. Let's hope his a bit more sunstantial than Kerry's. Whatever happened to Edwards?

Collapse -
Re: President Bush ahead in the polls

Hi, Del.

Still within the margin of error, but yes, as often is the case mud-slinging has taken its toll. OTOH, according to the NBC/WSJ poll released today, 50% of the country still thinks the country is going in the wrong direction, and pluralities think the Iraqi invasion was a mistake and disapprove of Bush's handling of the economy. As 2000 shows, the Electoral College is what counts, and Kerry's still ahead there, because there are more rabidly red states than rabidly blue...

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: President Bush ahead in the polls

there are more rabidly red states than rabidly blue...

Rabidly? that's the measure of success nowadays politicaly then?

Actually that may be a fair assesment of politics in general, and politicans, rabid.

RogerNC

Collapse -

Hi, Roger.

By "rabid" in this case I mean having >60% support for one candidate or the other. Given the "winner take all" nature of the electoral college votes in all but a couple of states, that's why there can be a disconnec between the popular vote and who becomes President.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -

I'll grant the "disconnect" in the sense you meant it.

But the system has been that way since it was designed that way. In the beginning the intent was (IMO) for people of each state to choose someone they could trust to choose for them, since campaigning nation wide to the public (even with only 13 states) was totally impractical with then means of transportation.

You could argue it was elitism even, but let's not forget at the time the people placed more reliance on local government than the federal. Over the years, the federal government has expanded until state governments are little more than political subdivisions. A state government compared to federal is no more than a county compared to the state. The debate over the propriety of that is another issue.

However, there has been little to no success in movements to change the election to a popular vote. Of course, that mainly means the powers that be like it the way it is, it's easier to manipulate the results in their view I'm sure.

And honestly even with current technology, or because if it depending on your view, a popular vote election would need a full year for all the recounts and challenges, if it could ever be settle to a majority satisfaction at all, in an election year with the vote as close as this one is projected to be.

However, all that is irrelevant to the point that "rabid" is an odd term to choose instead of strongly, overwhelmingly, stanuchly, etc. The choice of the word may well portray the current nature of politics in general, and of our individual attitudes toward election now.

It is a popular election, inspite of the electoral college issue. It has little to do with reason or ability of the candidates anymore. And that's how TPTB of both the RNC and DNC want it. And we've all fall for one bunch of propoganda or another pretty much as for who we support individually. Both sides paint the other as the devil.

So far, I'll stick with the devil I know in this case. Perhaps not rabidly, but not enough reason has been displayed to me to change.

RogerNC

Collapse -

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.