PC Hardware forum

General discussion

prescott vs northwood

I am building my 3rd computer in the last year.
I was about to buy the intel Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott 800MHz FSB Socket 478 Processor Model BX80546PG3000E -
From newegg

I have only ever used northwoods
I've come across several different perceptions in regards to the prescott and wanted to know what you guys thought about it.
I havent chosen a mobo yet but I do have the ram which will be 1gb of PC3200 corsair

The computer will be used to work in Quark, Adobe, Corel etc. I use it to edit a boating magazine. I will eventually get into some video processing too (get footage off a camera onto the web)
No gaming.

So I'd like to know what you guys think.
Oh and if you have any good mobo and vid card reccomendations id love to hear them.

I'd like to stay under the $200 or so mark on the mobo and maybe $250 on the vid card.

This is my own business and so money is a bit tight.
I know the 64s are about to come out but honestly I probably wont have that kind of cash to spend for at least a couple of years.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: prescott vs northwood
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: prescott vs northwood
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've got both

In reply to: prescott vs northwood

Northwoods and Prescotts. These are socket 478 and I've been using ASUS P4 800 series boards lately and never a hiccup. Prescotts run a bit hotter but seem to be more available and often cost less. If you get a Prescott, use a case with a side panel fan and you can stay with the retail boxed fan just fine. Clean out the heat sink fins once in a while. I like ATI video boards but have used others. I can't offer whether one brand is better than another as that depends on your use. I don't game or do anything that fancy. So far I've been lucky and been able to spend more time using my PCs than fixing them.

Collapse -
Check out this site, it may help

Collapse -
i'd get...

a Presscott
it's newer, and if you need more power in a few months, you can OC it quite easily (not to the point of unstability, but maybe from 3.0 to 3.5 (which is fairly simple))

and for a video adapter
I would suggest this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814106162

yes it's a bit over your budget
but let me say a few things in defense of that fine piece of hardware:

1) it offers giga-color, let me explain:
most video cards have a total of 16,777,216 colors to output, 256^3, that number is gotten from 3 colors and 256 variations of each (ever wonder why in Photoshop and other programs the max is 255 or 256? that's why)
BUT with giga-color, it's 1024 colors per channel (1024^3, which is 1,073,741,824 total colors) which allows for greater color precision (banding amongst colors isn't as easy to find at the pixel level, due to a higher level of colors)

2) that video card fully supports tri-monitor display, including tri-monitor OpenGL and Direct3D (Surround Gaming, but most use it for profesional design) it'd be perfect imo to edit images and text, I personally use two monitors and it makes photoshop about 3 times nicer than a single display

3) that card has amazingly high quality 2D output, even without giga-color, as it's a Matrox (Matrox is world renowned for their 2D output quality, which is why they are used in medical imaging systems)

4) that card does have some gaming oomph if you ever feel the desire to game (it's Direct3D performance is about equivalent to a GeForce Ti-4200, maybe a little slower)

that's the best 4 I can come up with (aside the fact that multi-monitor is the NICEST THING ON EARTH for non-3D applications)
for $342 most gamers and other enthusiasts blow right past it because you can pick up a GeForce 6800GT for $299.99 and a Radeon X800XL for $340
so it's rather overpriced for it's gaming performance

but for professional editing applications and digital content creation (it's main target market) it's a great card

I understand the cost is high, but most cards designed for over 2 monitors are usually slugs in anything, and are used for professional displays (like video walls for retail advertisements/cool factor) instead of professional applications like what your doing, unless you want to pay around $5000 for the card, so the Parhelia is a good balance (it's cheaper because it has 1 external RAMDAC (external in the sense that it's not the actual GPU, it's elsewhere on the circuit board (it's just as fast, it's only used if you are using 3 analog outputs))

i'm suggesting that mainly from the standpoint that you can have enough screen space (3 analog monitors, doesn't really matter what size they are, it'll handle them)

so as to the mobo

i'd suggest the Abit AI7:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127164

it's out of stock atm
if you need the machine ordered quickly/soon, i'd suggest this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131484

but between the two i'd take the Abit any day of the week (i don't particularly like Asus, but they aren't bad quality)

and with the $342 Parhelia with the AI7 @ $100
it'll cost just around $450 with shipping
keeping right inside your original budget
and giving you more video card functionality, a great motherboard, and all the features you'll need

also, i'd suggest a large hard drive (250GB or larger)

Collapse -
Ozos has recommended a nice combination of components

In reply to: i'd get...

The board choice is like which is better.. ford or chevy.

But the overall features of this board and video card combined with the Prescott 3.0E creates a very powerfull and flexable system for the money spent.

Can't go wrong with this type of set-up.

Bill

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: Ozos has recommended a nice combination of components

thank you guys
I am a fan of ABIT boards- thats all I've used so far.

So I guess the $184 the 3.0 P4 prescott is going for on Newegg is not a bad price (ive already spent like $3K at newegg in a year- love that place)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116171
whats the regular price on that cpu? I wonder only cause I'm going out of the country on friday and wont be back for 10 days and I don't want it to get here w/o me being here and then if it doesnt work its too late to send it back.

The case I bought has 4 80mm fans- including one on the side so I guess i'm good on that- plenty of ventilation. I can always add a new heat sink to it if it gets too hot.

thanks for the info on that vid card
your right id have gone right past it.
I'm going to move into 2 monitor display this summer- havent had the desktop space for it yet.

thanks for the site ksoiehawo
I think my brain has reached its new information quota for the day Happy

Collapse -
hhmmm

In reply to: thanks

I'm thinking I will wait till I get back
the mobo is out of stock
plus I don't want to have this stuff sitting around for a week while I'm not around.

think the price of the cpu will go up much?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) CPU Prices fairly stable.

In reply to: hhmmm

Collapse -
it might go down a bit actually

In reply to: hhmmm

as the new dual core Pentiums reach closer and closer to release (they are released, it's that the mobo makers haven't hit capacity for mobo production, so Intel has to sit on it's hands, while AMD's A64x2 chips are coming out near the end of the month, AND they will work in roughly 90% of all Socket 939 mobo's)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!