p4 2.6 celeron
256 mb ram
75gb hd
dvd rom
cd/rw
floppy drive
Genuine Windows xp"

or

"AMD XP 1900+ SYSTEM: COMPLETE AMD SYSTEM IN BLACK, 1900+ CPU, 512 RAM, 40 GB. HARD DRIVE, DVD-ROM IN A GREAT LOOKING LIGHTED CASE WITH EXTRA CASE FANS FOR COOLING, INCLUDES A BLACK MONITOR AND WIRELESS KEYBOARD/MOUSE,"

can you help me decide - without the technological jargon >.< - i need an experts opinion, so i came here.
im going to be using it heavily for movie editing, and burning things. gaming also. thanks you guys.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Presarion S5100NX, AMD 1900+ ~
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Presarion S5100NX, AMD 1900+ ~
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Only you can decide.

In reply to: Presarion S5100NX, AMD 1900+ ~

But if you are going to do video editing and gaming you need to look at;

Processor speed,
Memory,
Video RAM,
Storage.

Processor speed. I don't know AMD's too well but Celerons are the weaker of Intel's processors, usually used for starter systems. Personally I would stay away from Celerons.

Memory. Generally the answer is "As much as you can afford". Memory or RAM stores much of the application and work you are currently working on. RAM is accessed to store and retrieve data many times faster than writing to or reading from the hard disk. If you have insufficient RAM then the computer processor has to swap data in and out from RAM to the hard disk for the current process it is working on. This slows the process down. You can often see the effects of this when, for example, the mouse cursor changes to an hourglass whilst the processor is accessing data. The longer the hourglass displays, the more work swapping data the processor is doing.

For Windows XP 256MB of RAM is considered very low. XP will work on 256KMB but it will struggle. The AMD system has 512MB of RAM but I consider even that is marginal. For video editing and some gaming you need at least 1GB of RAM. I have 2GB.

Video RAM. You need a high end video card, (Graphics card). Video RAM is used in place of the system's RAM when videos are being displayed and with higher graphics games. There is no mention of which video card is installed in either of the two options you have given.

Storage. XP itself needs at least 10-15 GB of hard disk storage. Videos and music will take more. As with RAM, the more the better. Hard disk storage is cheap now, and so you should get as much as possible.

Make sure your DVD ROM is also a DVD RW. If you want to save/backup videos to DVD disks you will need not only CD RW but DVD RW.

You ask for help without the technical jargon. I'm sorry but it can't really be done without some knowledge of the terms used.

On the whole I do not see either example as particularly suitable for what you need.

Mark

Collapse -
Neither One..

In reply to: Presarion S5100NX, AMD 1900+ ~

I happen to have one of the "Compaq Presario S5100NX" machines and it's now almost 4 years old. At this point, I've added a new DVD+/- burner in place of the DVD-ROM, a new CD-RW burner to replace the dead/original, and I've also added more RAM so it's now up to 768 MB, but it's still not suitable if your going to use it primarily for "movie editing, and burning things. gaming also. " It's been fine and reliable for general home needs which include internet use, occasional burning chores, and other basic items but when asked to do encoding, or picture editing, the integrated graphics and the Celeron processor just don't get the job done fast enough.. And many games aren't supported because of the lack of a graphics card.

Likewise, the AMD will be a little faster but more RAM will be required and you'll need to verify as to the type of graphics it has.. I agree with Kees.. Unless you're looking for a very basic computer, neither of the choices may be what you want.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.