General discussion

Presario mobo upgrade

Hello.
I have an older md S6300NX presario and would like to upgrade the mobo and keep the original hardware that came with it.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanx.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Presario mobo upgrade
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Presario mobo upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Unlikely much can be saved.

Since we can't reuse the OS we're out another hundred. The RAM is outdated so no savings there. The hard drive is the now dated IDE so another part lost. Then the power supply is not compatible with today's boards.

Is the case worth saving?
Bob

- Collapse -
An older machine's life

Your trying to salvage an old machine for comfort level, and maybe because of XP and purchased program compatiblity. You don't really state why you believe you need a new MOBO. Stock config was 512MB PC2700, 80GB EIDE, 64MB onboard Graphics. You have (1)AGP and (3)PCI slots, less whatever is being used. A new (VGA port) graphic card ($100 or less) would help, but may stress your PS. Maxing out memory RAM is costly, at $100 for (2) 1GB PC2700. (I am trying to find some cheaper for my own, see below, project).
My reply is predicated upon XP and your purchased programs and data. If the programs can be re-installed into a Win7 machine (you'll need to research it), then go with a new Win7 machine, and transfer the data.

Bob's correct. It's limited. Time to migrate. But, after the migation, re-format and install XP with SP3. Think of recycling to a senior citizen, or a retirement home. I say that because of what I do locally with other seniors in my community.

CNET Forums

Forum Info