Computer Help forum

General discussion

presario laptop wont connect to wireless

by goksta45 / February 10, 2007 12:04 PM PST

hello my friend has a compaq presario with win xp 9 months old. It was working fine until last week. laptop runs fine but wont connect to internet. The internet icon in the bottom right tray shows connected at 54 mps excellant. But when you try and connect to internet explorer it says no connection. I plugged in the land line fron the linksys routter direct to the laptop and no problems. works fine. tried rebooting computer,laptop,router in all possible sequences and same result. Im assuming since the networking icon shows excellant connection its not the laptop. like i said it was working until a week ago..........lost internet for 2 days...got it back but not on the laptop. he has a som that brings his school laptop home and that connects to the internet fine. shyt off firewalls just in case but no diff. help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: presario laptop wont connect to wireless
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: presario laptop wont connect to wireless
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
2 things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2007 9:16 PM PST

1. "land line" is generally accepted as a phone line. The type you plug your phone into or a modem. I bet you meant to write "Ethernet cable."

2. Try your laptop at some free hotspot and report what happens.

In closing, my neighbor had a similar event. Even though he didn't change a thing more wifi routers in the neighborhood meant we had to not only change channels but update the firmware in the router. It's fine now.

Bob

Collapse -
re laptop
by goksta45 / February 10, 2007 11:32 PM PST
In reply to: 2 things.

i did mean the ethernet cable...........ill let him know what you said ....thanks...............

Collapse -
laptop wont connect
by goksta45 / February 16, 2007 11:46 AM PST
In reply to: 2 things.

sorry i didnt get right back.......... i have the laptop at my place now........same problem......thought it might be easier to fix with it here........they didnt give the router though......just the software and laptop.........is that gonna be enough or do i need the router too? the network shows connected here on my wireless also but same results......shows good signal strength but wont connect..........help if you can...........thx

Collapse -
So the laptop isn't yours, you don't have the router and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2007 9:16 PM PST
In reply to: laptop wont connect

It's configured oddly.

Try this. Use the normal setup for wifi and go to a hotspot to try it. Then you know it's not the laptop if it works.

Bob

Collapse -
hmm
by ict-cramps / February 10, 2007 9:46 PM PST

if it says it is connected then the problem might be that the router isnt giving the laptop a ip address, so the laptop just assigns it self one. go to the status then click the tab support. write back on what it says.

Collapse -
presrioo wont connect
by goksta45 / February 16, 2007 12:05 PM PST
In reply to: hmm

the tab says manually configured ip address 192.168.0.1
subnet 255.255.255.0
windows did not detect problems with this connection

Collapse -
(NT) set it for a dynamic address
by Edward ODaniel / February 17, 2007 3:50 AM PST
In reply to: presrioo wont connect
Collapse -
presario wont connect
by goksta45 / February 17, 2007 10:38 AM PST

i finally got it working............at least on my home wireless..........hopefully it will work on my friends home wireless also. I did have to go in to the network connections and click the autodetect botton........or whatever it was called.........lol not sure why it got that way in the first place...........but they did just change cable providers so maybe it has to be done on each network? anyway i think i got it now .thanks for the help everyone

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.