Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Pres Bush is really starting

by marinetbryant / August 22, 2006 12:55 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pres Bush is really starting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pres Bush is really starting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Would be interesting............
by Mac McMullen / August 22, 2006 1:07 AM PDT

.....to see the part that the State of Texas played in all of this. The fact that Texas holds the title/right to it's public lands, as unique from other states, the federal government could not have pushed this through without without Texas approval.

Foreign influence in US water ports; air ports; and other areas of our infrastructure, didn't just start with the current administration, it has been around for a long, long time.

Collapse -
I do understand
by marinetbryant / August 22, 2006 1:16 AM PDT

that this foreign management is not to be laid at any particular administration's doorstep. Seems this goes hand in hand with Bush's immigration policy. This raises the question is this his policy or some of his advisers? Really don't like the "sealed containers from China" aspect. Don't get me wrong, I do like Bush, but this nearly erases his good ideas and policy, IMHO.

Tom

Collapse -
Farm lands versus public lands
by Angeline Booher / August 22, 2006 5:23 AM PDT

I think I read that the highway will consume so many thousand acres of "farmlands". Does this mean that crops are grown on public or private land in Texas?

In TN public lands are owned and controlled by by the city, state or feds. Farmlands are privately owned.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
I believe it to mean
by null. / August 22, 2006 6:18 AM PDT

there wiil be the use of emminent domain seizure laws to secure the private lands for public projects.

I'd like to see these laws in front of the SCOTUS again.

Don Erickson

Collapse -
You think they'll change the name of
by drpruner / August 22, 2006 8:03 AM PDT

Liberty Highway? Happy

Collapse -
Remember AZTLAN...........
by Mac McMullen / August 22, 2006 1:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And La Raza
by marinetbryant / August 22, 2006 1:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
Why upset with Bush?
by Edward ODaniel / August 22, 2006 2:22 AM PDT

Limited access highways are a State issue, INCLUDING any federal monies the State gets for awarding the construction.

The mid-America access for Mexican truckers has been on the fire since Clinton signed NAFTA and it is not up to Bush to change such treaties but to Congress which approved them.

It would be nice if Congress passed legislation to bar foreign ownership of properties as many other nations have done. It allows other countries to own businesses which they can buy and sell but not the land or buildings on the land nor the mineral rights to the land.

Collapse -
I reckon
by marinetbryant / August 22, 2006 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Why upset with Bush?

it's who the MSM would like to blame. If it weren't for the government running things I'd almost be willing to go along with the nationalization of certain industries! Seems everyone forgets about Clinton and NAFTA. Just get so discouraged and feel like the country is slipping away from us plain folk.

Tom

Collapse -
NAFTA wasn't just Clinton
by Josh K / August 22, 2006 4:20 AM PDT
In reply to: I reckon

Dole supported it too (along with a lot of other Republicans) so even if he had won in '96, we'd still have NAFTA.

NAFTA was one of the reasons I was intrigued by Perot (he opposed it), until I began to realize he was coo-coo for cocoa-puffs!

Collapse -
And if Reagan and Mulroney
by JP Bill / August 22, 2006 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: I reckon
Collapse -
Congrats and welcome....
by Josh K / August 22, 2006 2:42 AM PDT

....to the roughly 65% of Americans who don't care much for him either.

Collapse -
Ho Josh.........
by Mac McMullen / August 22, 2006 4:22 AM PDT

How are you coping with the Dallas heat and water ?

65% ain't bad considering no one will vote him in 2008 regardless.

Collapse -
Lots of one, not much of the other!
by Josh K / August 22, 2006 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Ho Josh.........

The heat really hasn't bothered me much. It's not muggy most of the time and it doesn't feel oppressive to me. It's ''only'' 96 right now and I just took a long walk during lunch, no problem. The only real drawback is that we have to schedule outdoor activities with our daughter for morning, before it gets too hot. No afternoons at the playground until it cools off a little.

Last night as we were putting Aimee to bed we heard a strange tapping noise outside, all around the house. I went to the window to investigate and saw that it was raining. It had been so long we forgot what it sounds like!

The drought is nothing funny though. It's rained -- I mean good steady rain for more than a few minutes -- maybe two or three times in the year we've been here. We're on Stage 3 water restrictions, which means lawn sprinklers only once a week and only at certain times of day. We're allowed to use soaker hoses for our foundations every day (anyone familiar with North Texas knows what that's about). Anyone caught violating the restrictions gets their water turned off and has to pay a $2,000 fine to get it turned back on.

The 65% could reflect on his party's chances in 2008, and it still indicates what people think of how well he's doing his job.

Collapse -
Going off topic of thread.........
by Mac McMullen / August 22, 2006 6:59 AM PDT

Guess you have yet to experience the "humids" of Dallas.

Here we normally have 8 to 9 inches annual rainfall. I started keeping track from my rain guage on July 28. Thru 21 Aug we have received 6.175 inches of rain. This in an area where rain is measured in tenths of inches, and where a 3 tenth rain fall gives the good old boys something to talk about for 6 weeks.

In this same 2 or 3 week period, everything, including the mountains, have taken on a deep shade of green. The grasses along the highways are shirt pocket high.

Aimee should be talking by now. Has she picked up a "drawl" yet ? Wink

Collapse -
We've had a couple of muggy days
by Josh K / August 22, 2006 7:12 AM PDT

But mostly it's been pretty dry. Everything here is a kind of faded green-to-brown.

Aimee started talking at 11 months; she will be 4 in October. I will have to post a link to some video I shot of her the other day. She does an exaggerated drawl on purpose for laughs, and sometimes her speech is flecked with a hint of a real drawl, a bit of New York/New Jersey and even some British (she watches some British cartoons and we listen to a lot of British music in our house). It's hilarious to hear them all in one sentence.

She'll outgrow it. My cousins have lived here for 20 years and when their kids were small they were drawlin' too but they don't anymore.

Collapse -
That is a shame! I thought your ''muggy days'' ...
by Edward ODaniel / August 22, 2006 11:04 AM PDT

ended when you left New York/New Jersey.

Devil

Collapse -
Good memory, Ed
by Josh K / August 22, 2006 11:19 PM PDT

The last one of "those" muggy days was around 25 years ago, thankfully.

Collapse -
Here's the video
by Josh K / August 22, 2006 11:18 PM PDT
Collapse -
''It had been so long we forgot what it sounds like!''
by drpruner / August 22, 2006 9:49 AM PDT

LOL! Same thing happened here in NM. Of course, now we have flooding. Sad

Sorry you aren't getting more rain. I went to school a few times in Grand Prairie. Standing outside the building in summer made me feel like I was in a desert scene in a Western, even though the surroundings are pure 20th century. HotHotHot.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!