Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Prepare to Launch!

by JP Bill / February 14, 2008 11:50 AM PST
Bush orders satellite 'shootdown' due to safety fears.

WASHINGTON ? President George W. Bush decided to make a first-of-its-kind attempt to use a missile to bring down a broken U.S. spy satellite because of the potential danger to people from its rocket fuel, officials said Thursday.

Deputy National Security Adviser James Jeffries, briefing reporters at the Pentagon, did not say when the attempted intercept would be conducted, but the satellite is expected to hit Earth during the first week of March.

?This is all about trying to reduce the danger to human beings,? Mr. Jeffries said.

Gen. James Cartwright, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said at the same briefing that the ?window of opportunity? for such a shootdown, presumably to be launched from a Navy ship, will open in the next three or four days and last for seven or eight days. He did not say whether the Pentagon has decided on an exact launch date.

This is all about trying to reduce the danger to human beings,? Mr. Jeffries said.

Seeing if "we" can do it might be part of the plan also.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Prepare to Launch!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Prepare to Launch!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) kill 2 birds with 1 stone
by jimandjerry / February 14, 2008 11:53 AM PST
In reply to: Prepare to Launch!
Collapse -
kill 1 bird with 1 stone
by JP Bill / February 14, 2008 11:57 AM PST

What if the satellite wasn't going to crash for a few years?

What if they are going to shoot it while it is very near its normal orbit, they want to see if they can hit it like the Chinese hit theirs?

Collapse -
What if...
by EdH / February 14, 2008 7:48 PM PST
What if the satellite wasn't going to crash for a few years?
...the satellite is expected to hit Earth during the first week of March. If it wasn't going to reenter for a few years there would be no story.

What if they are going to shoot it while it is very near its normal orbit, they want to see if they can hit it like the Chinese hit theirs?
Since they weren't, I'd say it's a moot point.

Paranoid?
Collapse -
If it were...
by J. Vega / February 15, 2008 12:47 AM PST

If it were in a normal orbit and were blasted into parts, would those parts continue to orbit?

Collapse -
probably depend on how the blast was done
by James Denison / February 17, 2008 5:54 AM PST
In reply to: If it were...

If the explosion was between it and the earth it would put most of the junk up into a higher orbit, delaying and spreading apart the entry times of the various pieces.

Collapse -
(NT) As the marshal loads his nine-shooter ...
by drpruner / February 15, 2008 1:07 AM PST
Collapse -
which 9 shooter?
by James Denison / February 17, 2008 2:45 PM PST
Collapse -
you don't have to be former KGB head
by WOODS-HICK / February 17, 2008 10:45 AM PST

to think: "a U.S. plan to shoot down an ailing spy satellite could be used as a cover to test a new space weapon."

how do you say duh in russian........

....."This suggestion is rejected by U.S. officials."

http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSL16451297

does a white lie become a red lie if it is a national security concern? you see, I like it when a president lies with a purpose that benefits the citizens. there should be more of those lies.

I saw some scientist say today: (paraphrasing) 'if we miss, as long as there is no living thing within two football fields, everything will be a-ok.'

keep the heavy duty no stick tin foil handy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?