Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Premiere users and DV?

by ghydias / February 4, 2004 1:23 PM PST

Creating a movie in premiere with desent quality and resonable size is my problem. I take a DV from my camcorder, compress it, reduce quality to ~75-80%, 32kbit audio quality and a 7m50s video ends up taking 1.03 Mb and quality isn't that great. What do you do to get as close to dvd quality and be able to stuff 2 hrs on a dvd.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Premiere users and DV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Premiere users and DV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not a premiere user...
by Art / February 4, 2004 3:44 PM PST
In reply to: Premiere users and DV?

1.03mb is in what format (dv or mpeg2). To tell you the truth, that doesn't even sound like vcd quality. I know when I capture one minute video in mpeg1 format for GOOD vcd is 19.4mb/minute. mpeg2 format for dvd is 55mb/minute (BEST quality). As you can see, the number tell the story.

Collapse -
It's not a Premiere or DV issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2004 8:57 PM PST

You are still at some NTSC level of quality when you started. It's better than analog NTSC (or PAL), but many are thinking they'll get 2 hours of the quality they get on commercial DVDs.

You won't. I can't detail all the reasons, but here's a couple.

1. Your initial DV Camera is not that great. There are better cameras that are used in the commercial film making industry. Usually such are rented since the purchase price is in the 5 to 6 figures.

2. A commecially made DVD is over 8 GB most of the time. The 2 hours is usually some 4 to 6 GB of data on said disc.

3. You may rail against the data size, but it is a STANDARD so it will play in DVD players. Get past this so you can concentrate on more pressing issues such as encoding quality.

4. Premiere has a support line which when people call in can get all this prelim items out of the way so you can move on.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
I have couple question...
by Art / February 4, 2004 11:23 PM PST

one hour of DV (uncompress), how much space is needed (about 9-10GB?)?

Using premiere, how do you go from DV to DVD? Is all the steps automatic or can you manual control the process (such as resolution, biterate, frame rates)?

Collapse -
Re:I have couple question...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2004 11:55 PM PST

"one hour of DV (uncompress), how much space is needed (about 9-10GB?)?"

This may be difficult for some users to accomplish. While I would have no issue with using Virtual Dub to do the capture, use of this software is stressful to most.

Uncompressed video still needs a suitable file format to store in. As there is no file format noted, the question has no correct answer. PAL or NTSC will also change the filesize.

In short, it will be quite large since my work with Video Encoders, that is chips like the Philips SA7111 cause data to appear at about 27 MegaBytes per second. THAT is the real uncompressed video date and if you ever see a person asking how to move 270 Megabits per second, they are usually starting their learning experience about digital video transmission.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:I have couple question...
by Art / February 5, 2004 12:35 AM PST

I was just trying to estimate what kind of quality is coming out of the movie camera by the size of it's file (maybe not a good method). I have never work with DV but I thought it could be stored in DV format (or maybe uncompress .avi?).

Collapse -
Let's tackle a misconception?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2004 12:45 AM PST

Some have taken it that DV would yield better quality than a price comparable analog camcorder. One person was under the impression that it would be some Digital Camera quality (say 1 or 2 megapixels!) and that DV used such a stratosperic pixel count.

In short, that's not the case and is causing many to wonder what the heck is going on.

Its still NTSC/PAL video at the end of the day with some 200,000 pixels in a single video frame (maybe less.)

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Let's tackle a misconception?
by Art / February 5, 2004 2:09 AM PST

As I have said I have no experience with digital movie camera and you are probably right, at the end of the day it is still crap in equal crap out; but 200000 pixel/frame isn't too bad if the quality is good to begin with (vcd is under 100000 pixel). I have recorded some HDTV (abc_tv) material and it comes out pretty good on vcd (of course not as good as dvd but surprisingly good). I don't understand it but HDTV broadcast seems to be better than regular broadcast (this is just on regular cable not HDTV).

Collapse -
What Works For Me
by timwerx / February 5, 2004 12:24 PM PST

After making sure I have enough space on my hard drive, I import the DV into the PC -- no compression, just straight, raw DV which takes up around 12 GB per hour.

Then I edit out what I don't want.

Then I convert my wanted video clips to MPEG-2 (for DVD) with a max. bitrate setting of 4,000. (I use Ulead Video Studio.)

Then I arrange the above, create menus, and burn to DVD. (Ulead DVD Movie Factory)

I can always get at least 2 hours of decent quality video on one disk this way.

Collapse -
I want help for start a profession production house
by tuhin1111 / July 16, 2009 2:25 AM PDT
In reply to: What Works For Me

I am from Bangladesh. I have no any idea about film industries. But,just few days ago I start a tele film production name DevDas Junior. It will be completed within 2 months.
My problem is,I want to know which camara is best for telefilm production?If I purchase a best quality camara from USA market what is the cost. If anybody inform me,I will be really greatful to you.

Collapse -
Just one thing. Look at the date of this discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2009 3:54 AM PDT

Are you sure you wanted to dig up a 5 year old discussion?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

The most beautiful phone ever has one wildly annoying issue

The Samsung Galaxy S8's fast speeds and fantastic curved screen make it a top phone for 2017, but the annoying fingerprint reader could sour your experience.