General discussion

Predictable "No Signal" error

I have a fairly new computer with a No Signal error at boot up.

I know that the monitor, connections, motherboard, video card, RAM, CPU, and PSU could all cause this error.

However, if I unplug the computer's power cord from the wall outlet for a second or two, plug it back and turn the computer on , the error disappears and the computer works fine until next reboot.

Could this point to a malicious PSU?

Any word or two shall be appreciated.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Predictable "No Signal" error
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Predictable "No Signal" error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
No signal

This is a signal from the monitor only and will persist until it senses a connection with the video display. What's missing in your question is whether or not the PC seems to try to boot or does it not come on at all either. Such could be a BIOS setting as well. What needs to be known is if the control signal to the MB has been removed for some reason. There should be a BIOS setting allowing a restart upon power failure. Try setting to this if you have not done so.

- Collapse -
Well,

The computer seems to complete the POST process but it stops at the "No signal" message on the monitor.

However, if I now remove the computer power cord from the 110VAC outlet for few seconds and restart, the computer will boot up normally.

The "No signal" error will come back again on next boot up, UNLESS I again remove the power cord for a second or two.

This is the mistery. Why do I have to remove the power cord from the power source in order to be able to boot up normally?

- Collapse -
Time to start ruling things out

Is there anyway you can check the PC with another monitor? video card? One way to see if POST completes is to run from a boot disk. At least this way you won't be removing power while booting or after the OS is started. Windows can get testy about that. Have you tried just turning off/on the monitor?

- Collapse -
OK, Steven Haninger

I have just switched the PSU and it seems to work for now, maybe the problem will comeback tomorrow!

Thanks for your help!

CNET Forums

Forum Info