TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

PQ of 720p or 1080p scaled to 1680x1050?

Ok, I need a new computer monitor anyway so I figure what the hell I'll look for one that will make a nice HD screen to play my 360 and PS3 on till I have the money saved up for a projector. Problem is all the nice 22" monitors I'm looking at have a native res of 1680x1050, obviously thats a much higher res than 720p and a fair bit lower than 1080p so neither of the signals that my 360 or PS3 will be outputting will make it on screen without a serious bit of scaling. How much will this impact the PQ? Is it going to result in alot of artifacts and image noise? The only monitors I can find with a higher res are the 24" monitors that are 1920x1200 native which would definately play nice with 1080p but they cost like $700. Here's an example of one of the monitors I'm looking at:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-22-rdquo-Widescreen-Monitor-226BW/sem/rpsm/oid/170984/catOid/-12965/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PQ of 720p or 1080p scaled to 1680x1050?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PQ of 720p or 1080p scaled to 1680x1050?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Personally. . .

In reply to: PQ of 720p or 1080p scaled to 1680x1050?

HD on a 22" or 24" screen is a waste of time and money.

Collapse -
Really?

In reply to: Personally. . .

Change the resolution on your monitor to 800x600 and tell me that... thought so. When you're sitting 2-3 feet from a 22" monitor it's no different than sitting 5-6 feet from a 60" TV (Though I really would not reccomend sitting 5-6 feet from a 60" TV) and it's not difficult at all to see the HD difference.

Collapse -
SORRY, SAME THOUGHT; DITTO....

In reply to: Personally. . .

river.

Collapse -
artifacting & noise

Will not happen because of the resolution.
That TV does NOT have HDMI but DVI, even thought it is HDCP, it still may Not work with PS3. The 360 will not look that nice when hooked up to VGA, the colors start to looks dual. & for 1080p you have to sit 2.5-3ft to really see the diffrence.

Look at getting a CRT or saveup your money

Collapse -
CRT monitors aren't widescreen

In reply to: artifacting & noise

DVI isn't a problem, the PS3 and 360 will look just fine hooked up with an HDMI cable with a DVI adapter (I'll be getting a 360 Elite so yes it will have HDMI). I'm just worried scaling 720p or 1080p to 1680x1050 is going to have negative effects on the image (much like you see when watching SD content on an HDTV because of the massive scaling that must take place).

Collapse -
SONY'S KD-34XBR970 CRT TUBE IS 16:9 WIDESCREEN.

In reply to: CRT monitors aren't widescreen

River.

Collapse -
Unfortunately that is a TV

In reply to: SONY'S KD-34XBR970 CRT TUBE IS 16:9 WIDESCREEN.

I am looking at monitors since I need one for my computer anyway, I was thinking I could use this for my 360 and PS3 till I get the cash for my projector but I wanted to know if there would be any adverse effects in scaling 720p or 1080p to the monitors native res of 1680x1050.

Collapse -
crt tv & yes there are WD crt monitors.. google it

In reply to: CRT monitors aren't widescreen

Sony GDM-FW900 Flat Widescreen 24" FD Trinitron CRT Monitor
160 Hz refresh rate and 2,304 x 1,440 maximum resolution

Artifacting should be fine any would be way to small to see. What is your viewing distance!!! I've got a labtop & am like a 14" way from the 17" widescreen. I can see the diffrence in 720p & a SDdvd, if I sat back say 2' there is mostly zero diffrence.

Collapse -
And it costs about $700

In reply to: crt tv & yes there are WD crt monitors.. google it

If your saying I won't have issues with the image when the resolution is scaled then then that's all that matters.

Collapse -
Just

In reply to: And it costs about $700

don't get your hopes up on BR, there been trouble with 'odd' number resolution tv's & HDMI. It MAY scale down to 720p or even lower, it is dumb, but Sony is Very paranoid about copyright infringements.

Collapse -
It should be fine

In reply to: Just

The monitor is HDCP compliant.

Collapse -
But not 1080p

In reply to: It should be fine

that could be a problem. When you plug this 'tv' to a Ps3 they talk to each other & that can be a problem. Or you can just get 1 of the gaming systems & use the extra money to get a XBR34

Collapse -
I don't care if it's 1080p, 720p is fine

In reply to: But not 1080p

I just wanna make sure if I feed this monitor a 720p or 1080p signal it won't frig it up with scaling issues. I don't care about the XBR970, this is not about TV's right now.

Collapse -
$700 BUCKS; SAME AS THE SONY 34XBR970.

In reply to: And it costs about $700

YOU'RE TRAPPED, within your own demands!!!

riv.

Collapse -
*** are you talking about?

In reply to: $700 BUCKS; SAME AS THE SONY 34XBR970.

Honestly River I can't recall one time you have ever truly helped me with anything, all you do is go on and on about your freakin XBR970. I don't want a ****** XBR970! It's WAY too impractical to have to drag a 200lb TV to my damn apartment next year in college. I AM LOOKING FOR A MONITOR RIGHT NOW!!! My demands are to know if 720p or 1080p will look alright when scaled to 1680x1050 because a monitor with a 1920x1200 res costs $700 WHICH IS TOO FREAKIN MUCH MONEY FOR A FREAKIN MONITOR!!! You're talking like my price wall on this thing is $700 which it's not, it's more like $350. You seem to be confusing this with what I had intended to spend on a TV which was no more than $1000. Now please before you decide to contribute to a conversation next time STOP! and think if what you're going to say is the least bit valid or helpful and in fact before that make sure you know what the hell the question you're even answering is.

Collapse -
(NT) bk, you're freakin' uptight

In reply to: WTF are you talking about?

Collapse -
I am not uptight

In reply to: bk, you're freakin' uptight

I'm just insanely annoyed that in every thread I make asking a question about a TV, a monitor, or a projector River pops in to tell me I can't do it or misinterprets my question and gives me a stupid nonsensical answer and then every time tries to get me to a buy a stupid XBR970 because he worships that TV like it was a god.

Collapse -
BKC, I DON'T OWN THAT TV, BY THE WAY!!!

In reply to: I am not uptight

WE WERE OFFERING YOU SUGGESTIONS FOR A BETTER VIEWING EXPERIENCE!
PERHAPS, if you spent more time working; rather than complaining; you'd have earned alot more money, to buy 'that' set of your dreams, by now. IF I'm not mistaken, you still want to "hit up some relatives" for additional cash! You want something GREAT for nothing.

For someone who LACKS the AMERICAN work ethic, a higher education, not to mention, any manners of civility, you're the BIGGEST ingrate I've ever come in contact with.............

river.

Collapse -
No work ethic?

In reply to: BKC, I DON'T OWN THAT TV, BY THE WAY!!!

O sorry about that, I guess working every hour I can scraping together minimum wage after school and on the weekends between taking advanced high school courses, online college courses, fundraising for my class trip, being a mentor, and participating in my teens against underage drinking group get in the way of my ability to make the big bucks. You don't ****** know me and I don't wanna hear **** about my work ethic. And don't you dare imply that I'm anything less than a proud hardworking American because I've been considering for a long time going into the armed forces either before of after college because unlike the ******* bleeding heart liberals that infect this country I believe in what we're doing. Good day to you sir.

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Here you go. . .

I'll check into that.

Collapse -
Not sure if this will answer your question....

I currently use my PS3 on Gateway FPD2185W 21" LCD monitor. It has pixel resolution (native) of 1680x1050 (60mhz) and several inputs including DVI-D that supports 480p, 720p, 1080i, component Y pb Pr that supports 480i, 480p 720p, 1080i, as well as s-video and composite inputs. It is also HDCP compliant.

When I set up my Ps3, it recognized my monitor as a 1080p device, which I know is not true but that is setting I use. This monitor has no audio (unless you by gateway audio bar which I understand to be a bad idea) but I simply run a toslink optical cable from ps3 to my rinky-**** stereo system (no 5.1 or anything but PCM is still good to my ears.

That monitor cost about 600$ a year ago and I am sure there are more and better choices available now. My experince has been very positive with ps3 and this monitor and that's with games and blu ray movies. IMHO, I did not find money spent on HD computer monitor to be waste of money as my computer, ps3, and original xbox looked pretty good in my eyes on it. Yes I am sure it would look even better on bigger screen 1080p HDTV, but we work with the cards that we have at the time, right? Anyway, that's my 2 cents on using the ps3 with a widescreen lcd monitor.

best of luck in your search and enjoy your spring break

James

Collapse -
Awsome thank you

In reply to: Not sure if this will answer your question....

I might do a bit more research on this and ask some people at Circuit City but actually getting an answer to the question I asked is a big help, thank you.

Collapse -
bkchurch...

In reply to: Awsome thank you

I think you are driving yourself nuts and a few members here over this (TV, Monitor, Projector, CRT, LCD, Plasma, DLP, resolution stuff.).
Here is a article from Cnet HDTV World.

HDTV resolution explained;

Resolution is the main reason why HDTV looks so much better than standard television. On a high-def TV displaying a high-def source, a million or more pixels combine to create images that appear sharper and more realistic than TV ever has before. Resolution isn't the be-all and end-all of picture quality, however, and its numerous, well, numbers, can be incredibly intimidating at first. In this article we'll try to demystify HDTV resolution and help you cut through the hype that surrounds all of those numbers.

How important is resolution?
Not as important as you might think. According to the Imaging Science Foundation, a group that consults for home-theater maufacturers and trains professional video calibrators, the most important aspect of picture quality is contrast ratio, the second most important is color saturation, and the third is color accuracy. Resolution comes in a distant fourth, despite being easily the most-talked-about HDTV spec today.

In other words, once you get to high-definition, most people are perfectly satisfied with the sharpness of the picture. All other things being equal--namely contrast and color--HDTV looks more or less spectacular on just about any high-def television regardless of its size or the HDTV signal's resolution itself. The leap from normal TV to HDTV is so big that additional leaps in resolution--from high-def to higher-def, let's say--are tiny by comparison.

Nonetheless the HDTV landscape is littered with resolution discussions, in regard to both sources and displays, so a little knowledge of how they interact is a good thing.

Native resolution: The fix is in
For the rest of this article, we'll be talking about fixed-pixel displays. A fixed-pixel display is any HDTV or monitor that uses pixels to produce an image, including flat-panel LCD and plasma screens as well as rear-projection microdisplays and front projectors that use DLP, LCD, or LCoS technology. We'll ignore non-fixed-pixel displays; namely, direct-view and rear-projection CRTs, because they treat incoming resolutions differently than their fixed-pixel cousins do--since they don't use discrete pixels, their specs are much more difficult to pin down.

All fixed-pixel displays have a native resolution spec that tells you how many pixels the display actually has. Native resolution is the absolute limit on the amount of detail you'll see.

Fixed-pixel displays follow a few basic rules:

No matter the resolution of the source material, whether VHS, DVD, or HDTV, a fixed-pixel display will always convert, or scale, it to fit its native resolution.
If the incoming source has more pixels than the display's native resolution, you will lose some visible detail and sharpness, though often what you're left with still looks great.
If the incoming source has fewer pixels than the native resolution, you're not getting any extra sharpness from the television's pixels.

HDTV source resolutions
If you read those three axioms closely, you'll see that source is everything with HDTV. Or, as some unknown wag once said, "Garbage in, garbage out." There are two main HD resolutions in use today by HD broadcasters and other sources: 1080i and 720p. One is not necessarily better than the other; 1080i has more lines and pixels, but 720p is a progressive-scan format that should deliver a smoother image that stays sharper during motion. Another format is also becoming better known: 1080p, which combines the superior resolution of 1080i with the progressive-scan smoothness of 720p. True 1080p content is extremely scarce, however, and none of the major networks have announced 1080p broadcasts. The term 1080p today appears mostly in reference to the displays' native resolution, not the source.

Source resolution name Resolution in pixels HDTV? Progressive-scan? Wide-screen? Networks/sources
1080p 1,920x1,080 Yes Yes Yes Blu-ray and future HD-DVD players; PlayStation 3
1080i 1,920x1,080 Yes No Yes Includes CBS, NBC, PBS, DiscoveryHD/
Xbox 360
720p 1,280x720 Yes Yes Yes ABC, Fox, ESPNHD
480p 852x480 No Yes Yes Fox wide-screen; progressive-scan DVD players
Regular TV Up to 480 lines No No No All

Despite the obvious difference in pixel count, 720p and 1080i both look great. In fact, unless you have a very large television and excellent source material, you'll have a hard time telling the difference between any of the HDTV resolutions. It's especially difficult to tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p sources. The difference between DVD and HDTV should be visible on most HDTVs, but especially on smaller sets, it's not nearly as drastic as the difference between standard TV and HDTV.

HDTV display resolution
Now that we've considered the source, let's look at the televisions. As we mentioned above, all fixed-pixel HDTVs scale the incoming resolutions to fit the available pixels, throwing away information if they have fewer pixels and interpolating information if they have more pixels than the source.

Native resolution

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: bkchurch...

I've read that article before but re-reading makes me think I'll probably be safe with a res of 1680x1050 even with the scaling going on. As for driving people nuts I frankly don't care, if someone wants to answer my question then by all means please do and I'll be grateful but when people act like river and get pissy and won't **** about a stupid TV I don't want it gets annoying, if you don't have any useful information to post then don't waste my time. Also it kind've pushed me over the edge when he got into the personal attacks, that was uncalled for and I'm not one to stand by passively while people talk **** about me. You however hyghway have always been helpful and courteous to my recollection and I thank you for it.

Collapse -
Happy to Help...

In reply to: Thanks

hyghwayman

Collapse -
I have only use them as PC monitors.

They look great!!! I have played DVDs, the DVD player software rescales the video to resolution of the screen, looks great!
Keep in mind that this is computer monitor, NOT a wide screen HDTV.
You can not use it like a TV. John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.