General discussion

PPC G5 Recovered files folder in trash containing fonts

After every reboot or restart, I just started seeing a new file named "Recovered files" in the trash containing fonts. All fonts in there are system fonts. I remember this happening in OS9 but I never had this in OSX before. I close all apps before shutting down.

OSX 10.5.8 Dual 2.3 GHz PPC G5 5 GB DDR2 SDRAM NVIVIA GeForce 6600 256 VRAM

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: PPC G5 Recovered files folder in trash containing fonts
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: PPC G5 Recovered files folder in trash containing fonts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That Recovered Files folder

is created by the system and is usually generated as a response to a crash or sudden shutdown (power loss, for instance)
The system hangs on to those files, they are not always fonts, just in case it needs them when the reboot happens.
If the reboot is a success, then the system moves those files into a folder, Recovered Files, and puts them in the trash.

It is quite safe to empty the trash. Any files in the trash cannot be used by the system, or anyone else.

P

- Collapse -
I've emptied the trash numerous times...

Thanks for the reply. I've emptied the trash numerous times and rebooted it many times to no avail. It's not always the same exact fonts. Although I've been having a few hang-ups lately. You're probably right and this issue is pertaining to this relapsing issue. Thanks for the info.

- Collapse -
If you're having

If you're having reoccurring problems, have you tried using Disk Utility to check your permissions (and fix them if necessary) as well as verify your hard drive isn't in the early stages of failure?

- Collapse -
First thing I did.

Also after I ran Disk Utility. I also ran TechTool Pro, Drive Genius and DiskWarrior, all the latest versions. I ran them off another OSX partition from another hard drive as well. Same results.

- Collapse -
That machine.

Looks very high end for the G5 line.

Just checking one thing here. Has it been getting cleaned yearly? I ask because a few too many times I find the internals of such machine choking with lint and dust.

Also, after 5 years these machines can start to go south. Be sure to not count on older gear. That is, get ready for that really bad day.

-> Another clue could be "the apps." Share what happens if you boot up without running apps and shutdown immediately. Do not connect to the internet, run any torrent software and more.

A clue may be in your next reply.
Bob

- Collapse -
Cleaned every 3-4 months

I'll air it out every few months-maybe more frequently. It's on my desk so it stays off the floor. It is the original hard drive though. I do routine maintenance. I backup everything so when that day comes I'm prepared... at least I think I am. I have three external USB and Firewire drives running system software on 2 of 3 drives with all the popular utility programs. I try to monitor everything with iStat and nothing is running hot.
A friend suggested that I log onto root level user and run Disk Utility, I'll report my findings later today,
Thanks for all suggestions.

- Collapse -
I'd slim that down.

"three external USB and Firewire drives running system software on 2 of 3 drives with all the popular utility programs."

Sometimes you find a machine that is overly complicated. Today I like to simplify systems back to one drive, an optical and then maybe some external if they want to back up stuff.

The picture I get is not something easy to work with.
Bob

- Collapse -
A lot of apps running.

I have a lot of apps on my main-internal hard drive. By running another system, I'll install on a backup drive to see if there is any conflicts, freezes, general pain in the butt problems. After running it for a month or two with no noticeable problems I'll transfer that app to my main drive. This is the drive I boot up from everyday and use and now I have two complete "crash free" exact duplicates. If I should have a hard drive failure I won't miss a beat. The third drive is just for music, photos, etc. which gets a DVD backup weekly.
I know this may sound excessive but being in the print field where everything is backed up daily, I just got use to being overly cautious. We've had, in the smaller shops I've worked, where servers (the old Windows NT-4.0 days) would go down for a day or two. I had always made copies on my internal for just that reason and I was the only one able to do any work. Looking back on it maybe I was the idiot for working while everyone else was goofing off.
Thanks for the suggestions.

CNET Forums

Forum Info