HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac OS forum

General discussion

PPC G3 or PPC G4 or PPC G5

by russ666 / July 3, 2006 12:35 PM PDT

Like any other vision-challenged senior, i asked the guy at the counter : ''Will this play on my iMac OS x 10.3 ?'' Answer: ''yes, see here, it says (in VERY fine print) ) for mac X 10.3'' (Thank you Good Guys) (but it didn't !) (and wouldn't)

The reason ? it was designed to work on a G4 mac NOT a G3. What is THAT all about ? is this something i can upgrade ?

MORE fine print! SH** and also Da*n it to Heck !

The video game is ''Cars'' it is a Disney. mac compatible but G4 NOT G3 ! any suggestions ?

My greatgrandson really digs ''Cars'' (the game) all his other stuff left town with the upgrade to 10.3 and the elimination of Os 9x ''classic''

Peter, you DID promise to help find replacements for ''classic'' stuff

Dazed and confused in Seattle

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PPC G3 or PPC G4 or PPC G5
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PPC G3 or PPC G4 or PPC G5
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dazed and confused in Seattle
by taboma / July 3, 2006 4:30 PM PDT

Russ, I am not Peter.
This is your second duplicate post. You are dazed and confused. :

Collapse -
Since YOU are a G4 kind of guy
by russ666 / July 5, 2006 3:43 AM PDT

Since YOU ARE a G4 kind of guy.

How about if i give it to you for YOUR grandkidlets ?

Fazed and Confounded in Seattle

Collapse -
Since you so aptly pointed out
by russ666 / July 5, 2006 3:46 AM PDT

Since you so aptly pointed out that THAT thread had been closed and locked, the "duplicate" post was a necessary evil.

Only trying to get the job done,

ps my meds are fine it is the universe that is having problems

Collapse -
No suggestions
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 4, 2006 12:12 AM PDT

Other than the obvious.

As Taboma pointed out, this game requires a G4 processor running at 1.2 GHZ or above. Your SL iMac does not come close.

"Peter, you DID promise to help find replacements for ''classic'' stuff"

I sure did, and as this is your birthday, I will forgive the veiled threat and point out that this game is not a game that plays in Classic anyway. As you can see, it's system requirements are steep and there is no mention of OS 9 anywhere on the box. Full requirements for this game are available at:
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/demos_updates/disneypixarcarsthevideogame.html

Happy Birthday

P

Collapse -
Sometimes my questions
by russ666 / July 5, 2006 3:55 AM PDT
In reply to: No suggestions

Sometimes my questions are intended to actually garner a possible solution, albeit thay may not be couched in terms suitable to some.

The "NEW" imacs wouldn't have the capacity either i gather ?

Since i am neither a specs reader (nor understander).

Kevin has suggested a mac mini as a good route to take, do you concur ?

Just thought i would inquire,

Collapse -
Mac Mini
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 5, 2006 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Sometimes my questions

Personally I would go for the 20" Intel iMac or at least the 17" Intel Mac.

Although the Mac Mini is a fairly decent machine, I'm not sure I would bother with it. After seeing the nice screen on the iMac, the faster drives, larger memory capacity, I think I would cough up the extra for a full size machine.

P

Collapse -
OK i am digesting this
by russ666 / July 5, 2006 4:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Mac Mini

OK i am digesting this latest incite. (pun intended)

i think i saw one of those in the mac warehouse catalogue for about $1200 US, was this the iMac you meant ? it LOOKED lovely ! and the required G4 is there then ?

i can't find that catalogue just now.

Collapse -
Seems so
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 5, 2006 8:08 AM PDT
In reply to: OK i am digesting this

$1299 will get you the 17" but will NOT solve your problem. The game you purchased is marked as "may not be suitable for Intel Macs"
All new Macs are Intel Macs.
Do NOT be tempted to get a NON-Intel Mac. Yes they may be a little cheaper, but you will find yourself in the same position than you got into this one.
Eventually the requirements will move to G5 or Intel and then to Intel only. It'll take a number of years though.

P

Collapse -
Speaking of "Veiled"
by russ666 / July 5, 2006 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: No suggestions

But first, please accept my thanks once again.

Speaking of "Veiled" i reread your post once again and somehow it registered eventually that there was a link to a mac game store with "stuff" to browse through and possibly find something the great grandson might enjoy. He is six now. He used to like the Bugdom game. This played well enough on my OS. i am thinking there may be others that could suffice. If "classic" is still being programmed for, why not ? Or would that be telling ?

Earnest acolyte

Collapse -
Classic and other stuff
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 5, 2006 8:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Speaking of "Veiled"

OS 9 (aka Classic) is no longer being programmed for. Not only is the OS no longer produced, it is now 2 stages of OS type behind the curve.
Now, you can still run Classic on your machine by installing OS 9 back onto it. This will take up disk space, something that you have a small phobia about.
Bugdom will run in Classic as will the other programs that originally came with your machine.
There are a number of games available for the G3 running OS 10.3 though. Just click on the Apple and select OS X Software. Browse away and check the specs. You have a G3 @ 400Mhz (that's a guess. See system profiler for real numbers) running OS 10.3.x
Check out the games, some of them are just little ones. Kids get to "like" a game really quickly.

P

Collapse -
well that is that then
by russ666 / July 5, 2006 12:35 PM PDT

well that is that then,
Catch 22 all over again.

Anyhow,

Thanks for your many suggestions. i will now spend some pleasant hours browsing the suggested site.

glass hoppah

Collapse -
Silly Me
by russ666 / July 5, 2006 12:40 PM PDT

Why would i even WANT said greatgrandson at my keyboard ? In retrospect, i think i am better served picking up a used game cube someplace for him to destroy and in that way i have no competition with him or shared equipment issues . . . .

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.