HolidayBuyer's Guide

Cameras forum

General discussion

Powershot SX10 IS versus Powershot A400 point n shoot.......

by mmartell36 / September 18, 2009 9:12 AM PDT

Hi...i'm trying out the Canon Powershot SX10 IS (I got a great deal on it) and trying to compare it to my much beloved Canon Powershot A400. In my initial trials the photo quality of the SX10 (with 10 megapixels) seems softer than that of my A400 (with 3.3 megapixels). That being said, is it possible that the A400 can have better overall photo quality than the SX10 despite only having a lower resolution?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Powershot SX10 IS versus Powershot A400 point n shoot.......
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Powershot SX10 IS versus Powershot A400 point n shoot.......
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon SX10 and A400
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 18, 2009 10:34 AM PDT

There is no easy answer to your question.

The megapixels have more to do with printing than with viewing on a screen.

And you have to be sure that you are comparing apples and apples.

You have to be comparing the exact same scene.
You have to be using the exact same shutter speed, aperture, ISO setting and zoom setting

Both cameras have a very sharp lens.
The A400 has less Megapixels and less pixel density, which lets it put larger pixel elements on each CCD sensor.
That reduces the noise generated by an overcrowded CCD sensor assembly.

The A400 is limited to ISO 400 while the SX10 lets the camera select as far as ISO 1600.

Take a picture with the A400, then write down the shutter speed, aperture setting, ISO setting and zoom setting.

Take the SX10IS and use the Aperture Priority setting with the aperture set to the same setting, the ISO setting the same and zoom setting the same. The SX10IS will then select the correct shutter speed for a good exposure.
Now take the identical scene with the SX10IS.

Then you can compare apples to apples.

Collapse -
trying what was suggested..........what's going on here?
by mmartell36 / September 19, 2009 2:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Canon SX10 and A400

ok...i did as you suggested, but i found out that there was no real one to one correspondence with all of the variables you said to determine...i could get about to of the variables to line up but not the others, especially f-stop. So obviously there was very little similarity between the cameras.

Then I decided to compare the camera using their basic core functions like foliage, ISO, and exposure compensation. I gor mixed results though. in the daylight, outside....the SX10 was a clear winner with clarity, zoom, and color. But in macro mode the A400 was clearly superior in clarity. Zoom was not a variable and color was near identical. Clarity is was I look for in Macro mode.

So was is going on here?...

i think it might have to do with the camera trying to be a one size fits all kind of thing but only succeeding in only middle ground fields...i think it's possibly due to the lens being designed to try to cover all sorts of depths of field that it's rather stuck in the middle of success...but please I value anyone's answers on this suject

Thank you,
mmartell36

Collapse -
an addendum...if i spelled that right
by mmartell36 / September 20, 2009 11:07 PM PDT

anyways....i just wanted add that the macro pics were shot under low to dim lighting conditions (inside at night sometimes with a small small flashlight on the subject..a micro machine starship)

Collapse -
Table Top Photography
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 21, 2009 12:06 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.