Cameras forum

General discussion

Powershot S5is Lens adapter issue

Hey all, I've got a question about my canon powershot S5is. I purchased a lens adapter hood set to give more protection for my lens. The cap that comes with the camera is of poor build and does not stay on well. It hood is just what I needed for my outdoor trips BUT I have noticed that the hood set significantly limits the camera's ability to focus, even within the optical zoom. Is it just the particular lens I have on the adapter, which is simply a 58mm protective filter attached to the adapter, or is it something else? Any suggestions or alternative forms of camera protection, fixes for the issue, or just anything is much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

The lens adapter is Canon Conversion Lens Adapter LA-DC58e with a protective filter lens attached.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Powershot S5is Lens adapter issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Powershot S5is Lens adapter issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
question

Is the filter a UV filter? Also, is the filter dark...that would make a difference in the focusing ability.

Collapse -
Not UV

In reply to: question

The lens is not a UV lens nor is it darker.It is simply a "safety" lens, one which serves no purpose but to protect actual lens in camera. Wait.... wow.. I was just looking at the lens itself and when I held it up in front of my computer it magnified the text on screen... didnt even see that.(Smacks head)Guessing this isnt what I ordered.. It says +2 on the side of it, so im assuming/guessing that means it magnifies x2? maybe? So I guess it isn't exactly a safety lens... Ok, with this new discovery I will have to search for a dummy lens or something to replace it. Any suggestions again would be helpful. Thanks.

Collapse -
what I did

In reply to: Not UV

When I had my G2, I used a UV filter. All it does is block out the UV light that enters it, and they're cheap enough that if it broke then you could replace it. The brand I used was a Tiffen.

Collapse -
The type of glass makes a difference

In reply to: Powershot S5is Lens adapter issue

I don't know what "safety glass" is... almost always it is a UV filter that is used to protect the lens. But remember, the camera has to shoot through this glass, so if it is a cheap piece of plastic or not optical grade glass, then it is going to present problems with focusing as well as the sharpness of the photos you take.

Stick with UV filters from Tiffen, Hoya or B+W and you will generally be OK. My wife has the S3 with the Hoya UV filter and has never had focusing problems.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.