Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

PowerPoint Pictures invisible in main window, OK in show

by ahw30045 / April 2, 2005 4:13 AM PST

I am running Windows XP Home SP2 on Velocity Micro PC at 3.0 GHz with 1 GB RAM.

After changing PCs, I installed MS Office 2003 with PowerPoint 2003 SP1. When I tried to open my current PowerPoint project, the inserted pictures in the main window are invisible: I can see them in my slide summary at the left (in normal view) and they are OK in the Slide Show. I have tried starting a new PPT, inserting standard pictures and it happens the same way. I have tried inserting Clip Art with same results.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled but with no success. I had installed PowerPlugs and had used them with no problems with previous install; still, I uninstalled but it didn?t help.

Can someone help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PowerPoint Pictures invisible in main window, OK in show
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PowerPoint Pictures invisible in main window, OK in show
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try their support.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2005 5:42 AM PST
Collapse -
Completely uninstalled PowerPlugs and PowerPoint: no good
by ahw30045 / April 2, 2005 7:28 AM PST
In reply to: Try their support.

I have Completely uninstalled PowerPlugs and PowerPoint but there is no change when I reinstall PowerPoint (but not PowerPlugs); I rebooted after the uninstalls and rebooted after the install.

Anyone else seen this?

Collapse -
Try OpenOffice's powerpoint workalike.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2005 7:43 AM PST
Collapse -
I don't think it is PowerPlugs problem
by ahw30045 / April 2, 2005 8:16 AM PST

I don't think it is PowerPlugs problem; I uninstalled it with no change. There is nothing on the support site.

Collapse -
Did Open Office display it OK?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2005 9:07 AM PST

And I read something on the support site. But some can't use that and need to call in for support. From what I can tell it's a setting, but which one.

Bob

Collapse -
Yes, Open Office opened it fine
by ahw30045 / April 2, 2005 9:52 AM PST

Yes, Open Office opened the PowerPoint slide fine. What does that tell us, that it is a setting on PowerPoint?

Collapse -
That's a great clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2005 10:19 AM PST

It means it's either a mugged Office install (generic way of writing bad/incorrect DLL or other problem) or a setting.

Be sure to explore ALL items under the View menu.

Sorry, I don't know which it can be since... I'm not there and I never used the Crystal items.

Bob

Collapse -
What is the difference in PowerPoint XP and 2003?
by ahw30045 / April 3, 2005 7:41 AM PDT
In reply to: That's a great clue.

I tried installing my PowerPoint XP edition and everything works fine. Does anyone know what are the differences between PowerPoint XP and 2003? Do I lose anything important?

I have both versions running on the same system; I had hoped that the 2003 would install over the successful XP version and be normal, but I guess this might work.

Collapse -
PowerPoint Pictures invisible in main window, OK in show
by glennashaw / April 3, 2005 9:49 PM PDT

Hello,

Upgrade your video drivers if possible
Turn back hardware acceleration
Install DirectX

Hope this helps,
Glenna

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.