General discussion

powerpoint 2004

Hey, everyone!

I have a serious problem with Powerpoint on mac. If I open a presentation from Windows powerpoint, the application hangs due to the lack of memory (i have 512), but even if i have 240 mb free, and open a presentation which is 9 mb, the powerpoint takes all this free memory, then hangs, and in 5 minuets starts working again...

This is terrible in case of a presentation... Does anyone know how to cure this problem?

Thank you!
Denis.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: powerpoint 2004
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: powerpoint 2004
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Why not let it go virtual?
- Collapse -
how?

Could you please describe how I could increase it through virtual? I remember how to do it under OS7, later I switched to Windows...

- Collapse -
What Mac OS is this?

Windows memory management is discussed at http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php and Aumha's web site has more articles for the other versions.

From OS7 to 9, I didn't find Apple to change the control panel to control memory. AND the applications did get bigger from older to newer. Give the application more RAM and some virtual memory if you are on an OS that did such. MacOSX does this in a new way, so you shouldn't have to tinker with it.

Bob

- Collapse -
PP Presentation hangs

First the VM thing.
On all the Mac OS's before X, there is a Memory Control Panel. Open it and make sure that the Virtual Memory box is checked. Then click on the Defaults button, if it is in the window. If the VM box is not checked, check it, click the Defaults button and restart your machine. By clicking on the defaults button, you ensure that the amount of VM available is the optimum for the amount of Physical Memory installed on the machine. Optimum is 1MB above the acutal. (512 actual = 513 VM) Unfortunately, OS's less than X did not have a wonderful memory allocation system and extra memory had to be allocated manually. To do that, do the following.
Find the actual application, PowerPoint. (NOT the file you are trying to open). Single click it, to highlight it, and then hold down the Apple key(next to the spacebar) and press the "I" key. Alternatively, once you have highlighted the application, you can go the the File Menu and choose "Get Info"
In the "Get Info" window, use the dropdown menu to find Memory. You will see three sets of numbers. Suggested Size, Minimum Size and Preferred Size. Suggested is what the writer thinks you should need, Minimum is the size, below which, the program will not launch and Preferred Size, the one we want, is the amount of memory that is actually allocated to the program. Try increasing this number by TEN THOUSAND (it's only 10MB) and closing the window. Try running the file again and see what happens.
You can increase this number all the way up to the amount of physical memory you have available, but that is not recommended.
Now, there is another possibility. If this is only one file, then it may be corrupted. How are you moving the files from the PC to the Mac?

- Collapse -
Mac OS X Panthera

Sorry - I've just read the messages. I am using 10.3 system, and as I understand, the VM is set automatically by the system. That's probably where the problem is... When it calculates home much memory is needed, the powerpoint hangs.

I decided to by a 1Gb memory card extension. Hope, this should solve the problem.

- Collapse -
PP Hangs

That might do the trick. Drastic but nice!
You can never have too much RAM

P

CNET Forums

Forum Info