Mac Desktops forum

Question

Powermac freezes on start up, normal prodcures tryed...

by bugusflair / May 20, 2012 4:39 AM PDT

So earlier on this week, my 2x3.2 ghz quad core mac froze... was completely unresponsive, so I force shut it down. It re booted fine then after a few minutes its froze again... I shut it down again, it froze again.

I left it for the night, switched it on in the morning, this time it froze on the start up. I tried booting it in safe mode, the progress bar went up and finished, then it froze. I tried booting it in holding down alt, this showed the HD and the disk that was in the drive, but clicking on either just froze it...

I noticed that it did boot in target disk mode, so I borrowed my sisters macbook and connected them via firewire. When re-booting the macbook holding down alt it gave me the option of booting up on the 1st hard drive on my mac, I tried it and everything worked fine, all my files were still there, it was like i was on my computer...

Then I got my sisters osx 10.6 disk and installed it on my hard drive via her disk drive/computer. This didn't appear to change anything

I then opened up the side and there was a silly amount of dust, so I did my best to rid it of dust... then I swapped the hard drive in bay 1 for the one in bay 3 which still had plenty of space on it. Still all of the same problems...

This is beyond me now, I guess (due to it not reacting to the swap) it cant be a hard drive problem that can be fixed with any erase an install procedures... what could be up with it? Is there anything else I should try at home, or should I get it seen to... any help would be massively appreciated thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Powermac freezes on start up, normal prodcures tryed...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Powermac freezes on start up, normal prodcures tryed...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That dust is a bad sign.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2012 4:43 AM PDT

We see too much and we know the owner has not been keeping up with the required maintenance. We'll clean it up and replace all heat sink compounds as well as inspect for the old BAD CAPS issues (see BAD CAPS on google)

If that doesn't fix it, we give estimates on boards and CPUs (basically the entire guts.)
Bob

Collapse -
errr....
by bugusflair / May 20, 2012 5:42 AM PDT

Can you dumb that down for me please? I need to place replace the heat sink compounds? How can I be sure of that?

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2012 6:16 AM PDT
In reply to: errr....

We never ask if we need to change that. We just do the work. Your beginner or new tech might ask if it's needed but the more seasoned tech will see the condition and then ask for the OK to get the work done.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
PowerMac or Mac Pro?

PowerMac or Mac Pro? The distinction is important, because PowerMacs were PPC systems, Mac Pros are x86. It SOUNDS like you have a Mac Pro if you've been able to get 10.6 to boot, but I just want to be sure because the suggestions given might vary significantly based on that answer.

Collapse -
(NT) Sorry yeah, you're right, it's a mac pro... any suggestions?
by bugusflair / May 22, 2012 5:13 AM PDT
In reply to: PowerMac or Mac Pro?
Collapse -
@jimmy greystone
by bugusflair / May 29, 2012 5:06 PM PDT
In reply to: PowerMac or Mac Pro?

I don't suppose I could nudge your memory on this one, it seemed like you might have been n to something?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?