Internet Service Providers forum

Powerline Internet Connection Problem

by brewbob47 / July 19, 2013 11:00 PM PDT

I am using a D-Link EBR 2310 wired router with two Plaster Networks power-line modules. They are about five years old.

An Ethernet cable is connected to the router and then to a PLN3 module that's plugged in to an AC outlet near the router. Another PLN3 module is plugged in to an AC outlet right behind my LG 55" LED/LCD HDTV, with an Ethernet cable connected from the module directly to the TV.

I've had fantastic connections since using the power-line setup, but in the last month since we returned from a vacation, it keeps getting disconnected from the TV. I also have an Ethernet cable from that module to my PS3 with the same problem.

I tried re-setting the router with a paper clip as instructed but couldn't do that. In desperation, I unplugged the module that is connected to the router, and the network is once again working. But, it is a PIA to keep doing this.

Is it possible these modules go "bad" after a while? I've noticed how warm they get so I wondered about the constant heat effect on the electronics.

Comments and suggestions are most welcome!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Powerline Internet Connection Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Powerline Internet Connection Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
At 5 years? Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2013 11:10 PM PDT

You also may notice (we did at the radar range) that there are more RF sources each year so combine that with age they can fail over time.

Since you are a seasoned user/owner you know these require to be on the same side of the power line and that is well discussed so I'm going with "try a new set."

Collapse -
by brewbob47 / July 19, 2013 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: At 5 years? Yup.

I've seen the reference to being "on the same side" of the house circuits and plugged the first module into a different outlet after posting my question. Result: it connected to Netflix almost immediately.

I could understand if I had switched outlets recently, but that's not the case. As I mentioned, it had been working flawlessly until a couple of weeks ago, so I assumed that it was on the same side circuit.

I'm inferring that your comment that the age could present a problem. But could it be an intermittent one whereby I unplug and replug the module to retrieve the connection?

I've looked at replacement modules and their reviews. That was going to be my last step if this whole issue was more than a simple solution. LOL I'll see if the new outlet connection maintains the power-line network.

Thanks much for your reply!

Collapse -
Yup. It could confuse folk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2013 12:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmmmm

I've found these to work across "sides" then stop working. The owners exclaim and keep repeating it worked before and all you can do is nod. Not one person seems to want to learn the technology or well, I don't want to upset you but your test tells me it's the old same side mains issue.

-> Since this fixed it I withdraw the idea of new modules.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?