General discussion

Powering Bookshelf Speakers Via TV Headphone Jack

I'm looking for an amp solution to power my existing bookshelf speakers (Polk) from my HDTV (Samsung) via the headphone output. I want the system to work like powered speakers except that in this case, the amp is standalone. Ideally, I would like to be able to connect my powered sub (Velodyne) to it as well.

I'm not looking for a receiver, just a solid amp. I assume the TV's pre-amp will suffice in this arrangement. Thanks!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Powering Bookshelf Speakers Via TV Headphone Jack
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Powering Bookshelf Speakers Via TV Headphone Jack
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Amp easy, not Sub-Out
http://cgi.ebay.com/MINI-2X120W-STEREO-POWER-AMPLIFIER-W-USB-CD-AUX-INPUTS-/280544836112?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4151c67a10

The advent of powered speakers has all but killing the low end audio amp, but if you hunt ebay and places like that you can get DIY stereo amps for under 20 bucks, but I seriously doubt that is a good option, and from 50-200 there is a small number of nice little stereo amps, but none of them will give you a sub-output, that needs to be done by the pre-amp, and it sounds like your TV does not have an output for it.

In most cases it has turned out better and cheaper for folks to just get a set of powered speakers, they are very cheap these days. Also a low end reciever or boom-box is also an option that tends to give you more bang fir the buck and in the case if a 100 buck receiver you'll get your sub-out as well.

However if you are stuck omn a sereo amp, that link to ebay above will get you in the right neighborhood.

Also note that you can pick up a used receiver with all the bells and whistles again for under 100 bucks.
- Collapse -
Amp Easy

Good thoughts about the amp. I found a couple of possibilities on Amazon:

Pyle: http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-2x75W-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B001P2R1RW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286974937&sr=8-1

AudioSource: http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-2-Channel-Bridgeable-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6/ref=pd_cp_e_2

Any familiarity with these amps? They may do the trick for under $100. I can live without the sub as it is a small room anyway. I am trying to keep the system easy so that my wife and son don't have to push a lot of buttons. That's the beauty of powered speakers that I am trying to duplicate.

Much appreciation for your response! I thought this was going to be an easy configuration but the electronics world has their head in different places I guess.

- Collapse -
Either one is fine

I would likely go with the Pyle, the added feature for bridging in the other unit is not really of any value to you. The auto-sense on may be cool in that you could leave the amp on all the time and it will go into standby as long is there is no input signal from the TV.

With either you will have to take care with the TV's volume as it can easily over-drive the amp, so make sure to start with the TV volume down all the way and then nudge it up slowly.

Both of those are designed for a Line-In and you'll be using the headphone jack on the TV which is not a line level output. You will also have an impedance mismatch but for this application it should not matter, managing the volume is the key part.

In this setting I would set the amp to about mid volume, and always start the TV from very low volume and then climb to the level you want. In this approach your TV remote for the volume will by proxy control the volume at your speakers.

You will need one more thing, a headphone jack to RCA cable, they are cheap. (don't spend more than 10 bucks or so for one. That will let you hook up the TV to the amp.

Likely a 3.55mm jack to stereo RCA.

Good luck, this seems to come up a lot here and yet still no market I guess for stand-alone amps.

CNET Forums

Forum Info