Women of the World
On this date in 1969, Russian-born, Milwaukee-raised Golda
Meir was sworn in as Israel's first female prime minister at
70 years of age. Let's see what you know about other powerful
1) Dr. Condoleezza Rice is the first black woman to hold her
current position. What position does she currently hold?
a. Secretary of State
b. National Security Advisor
c. Attorney General
2) Margaret Thatcher became the first woman in European
history to be elected prime minister. This feisty British
woman earned a tough nickname for herself. What was this
a. Dragon Lady
b. Iron Lady
c. Lady Willpower
3) The first woman elected to the U.S. House of rep-
resentatives was Jeannette Rankin (R-MT), who served from
1917-1919 and again from 1941-42. What is she famous, or
should I say infamous, for?
a. She finished her first and third husband's term after
b. She's the only person to vote against entering both World
c. She was assassinated both times.
4) Who were the first sisters to serve in Congress together?
a. Loretta and Linda Sanchez
b. Nancy and Elizabeth Pelosi
c. Hannah and Millie Rothschild
5) Who is the only woman to win a Nobel Prize in two
a. Mother Teresa
b. Gertrude Elion
c. Marie Curie
6) This woman became the Queen of her country when she was
just six days old. Who was she?
a. Queen Elizabeth
b. Queen Victoria
c. Mary Queen of Scots
7) This woman became the first female Justice Minister and
later the first Prime Minister of Canada. Who is she?
a. Jeanne Sauv