Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Powerbook (TI 867 15in) Wireless Solution?

by gspence / July 15, 2005 10:25 PM PDT

I am an owner of an Apple Titanium Powerbook (15in 867MHZ). It is almost 2 years old, I believe it was the last 15in TI model they made before the new design. I love the laptop and it still serves me well. I recently upgraded to 10.4 Tiger and love it, the problem is I never purchased an original Apple Airport card and the Airport Extreme cards are not compatable. I don't want to overpay for an original slower AirPort card.

I bought the D-Link DWL-G650X AirPlus G because the options that I have found are pretty limited and I trusted D-link. It said on their site it was compatable with 10.3 or higher, but then I got it and now they tell me it is not yet compatable with 10.4 Tiger and they don't know when it will be. The customer service has been a joke and I will most likely never buy a D-Link product again.

I have seen a few other 3rd party apple wireless cards, but mainly from companies I have not heard of. I am about ready to give up and sell my powerbook and just get a new one with AirPort Extreme already installed. I don't really want to do that, I like the design the Powerbook I have and want to keep it, but wireless technology has come so far in 2 years when I bought it, I did not even think that much of needing wireless, now its almost a must for a laptop owner.

Are there other cards out there that are compatable but they just don't mention it on the box? Or is there any other solutions I am not thinking of?

Again, I am running OS 10.4.1 Tiger and that is the reason the D-Link card is not working, but I have heard some bad things about that card since I bought it anyway.

I need some help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Powerbook (TI 867 15in) Wireless Solution?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Powerbook (TI 867 15in) Wireless Solution?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wait just a while
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 15, 2005 11:12 PM PDT

Before you decide to chunk the Ti Book, take a look at this site and see if this is something that you may be able to use.
It is a trial version, full version for an extra small fee, that just may do the trick for you and your wireless card.
Hope it helps, let us know

P

Collapse -
what site?
by gspence / July 16, 2005 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Wait just a while

Thanks for the response, but you mentioned some site that could help and then did not give me an address. I don't want to get rid of my powerbook, but I need wireless and there has to be something out there, its just absurd, the thing is not that old. I bought it new and I have not quite had it 2 years.

Collapse -
Oooops, my bad
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 16, 2005 3:54 AM PDT
In reply to: what site?
Collapse -
It did not work, but...
by gspence / July 16, 2005 5:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Oooops, my bad

Well I tried but the card was still not recognized. The D-Link 650G is listed on the Orangeware site as compatable, however I have the 650GX made specifically for Apple, HAH! but not 10.4 apparently. They still have not told me when they will have a 10.4 driver.
If I get a refund and just buy one of the list of compatble cards it shoudl work if I download the orangeware software, correct?

Because on the FAQ section it said it is compatable with 10.4 Tiger.

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
One can only assume
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 16, 2005 7:58 AM PDT

that one of the compatible cards will work with your machine. It would be worth an email or phone call to confirm.

Sorry it didn't work for you

P

Collapse -
Just FYI...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2005 8:05 AM PDT
In reply to: One can only assume

Over in Linuxland, we've seen dlinks with the same model number but the software detects differences... So you may not want a GX, but the plain G...

Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by gspence / July 16, 2005 3:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Just FYI...

Thanks for the advice guys. I probably will just goto Best Buy tomorrow and buy one of the reccomended wireless cards from the orange ware site and get a refund for the DWL 650GX.

Is it not really poor on D-Links part that there is not a driver for 0S 10.4 yet for a card that is said to be designed specifically for powerbooks?

Collapse -
Thick hide here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2005 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Sorry, but I live in a wierd world where I rub shoulders with driver writers. There's always a struggle to get the test machines, reference cards, "throw me a bone, need the info" (datasheets or specs) and also... getting paid to write or rewrite the driver. No pay? No driver.

There's a brutal reality in that the market for said card may be so small that a driver may never be developed or revised.

My lesson? Try an Apple card or product if I can. Mother knows best at times.

-> I write this not to pester or bother you but as insight to the weird world of driver writing.

Bob

Collapse -
uhh ok
by gspence / July 17, 2005 5:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Thick hide here.

Well if the orangeware drivers really work with all those cards, would'nt it make more sense to get a faster 3rd party G card rather than an older, hard to find, more expensive original Air Port card?

How much slower will an original air port card be? Is it that big of a deal?

Collapse -
Airport Cards
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 17, 2005 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: uhh ok

Original Airport card runs at 11 Mbs (802.11b) and the Airport Extreme runs at 54 Mbs (802.11g) (Depending on the frequency range used)
Original Airport cards are available from a variety of places. Do NOT pay more that $80 for one.

P

Collapse -
Cra_shoot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2005 7:55 AM PDT
In reply to: uhh ok

Remember that not all cards are identical internally so a driver may or may not work if you were lifting it from some other place...

Worth trying, but never a sure thing.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?