Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Powerbook speakers

How loud and how crisp are the powerbook speakers? If they aren't suitable for casual dorm use in your opinion, could you recomend a relatively cheap and small set of mac-compatible speakers that would suffice. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Powerbook speakers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Powerbook speakers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Speakers

In reply to: Powerbook speakers

I don't think there is such thing as mac compatiblity when it comes to speakers. There's no software, all you have to do is plug it in so i don't see the issue.

Collapse -
Not loud, not crisp

As the other poster said, compatibility does not come into it.
Pick a pair, any pair, that you like, plug them in and start listening

P

Collapse -
any recomendations then?

In reply to: Not loud, not crisp

Ok tx. But I was wondering if you had any pairs of speakers to recomend. Otherwise I'm just buying blindly off the net.

Collapse -
Cheap/Good

In reply to: any recomendations then?

Logitech X-230 is a good choice.

Collapse -
Creature

In reply to: any recomendations then?

I love my JBL Creature speakers. I saw them listed for about $80.

Collapse -
Tell me...

How much do you want to spend?

Do you want to rock the dorm, or listen quietly while you study?

How much space do you have? The desktop speakers take up a little space, but do you have room for a subwoofer under the desk? It makes a BIG difference.

The only compatability problem is, believe it or not, with other Apple speakers. Apple put out some digital speakers that you would need an adaptor for. Other than that, you plug the speakers into the headphone port, which is a mini stereo jack. Standard stuff.

With a name like amusicguy, I'm guessing you are interested in quality sound. You need to hear the speakers before you buy them. Go to Best Buy, or Fry's, or some place like it that has many different speakers set up for you to listen to. Choose, and then go to the web to get the good price.

Lampie

Collapse -
speakers

In reply to: Tell me...

I'm looking for speakers with very clear and crisp sound from low to moderate volume, and I anticipate ample room for a small sub. I'd prefer to spend as little as possible, and definitely nowhere over 100. Another reply recommended the logitech lx-230 speakers- do you know if they're any good?

Collapse -
Go and listen

In reply to: speakers

I've been in the music business for 26 years now, and one fact that keeps being proven over and over, at every level, is that sound quality is subjective. You've really got to go and listen for yourself.
There are many "good" speakers for under $100. There are even a few small surround systems for around that price. Something as personal as this can't be done right from a web page alone.

I've never owned the lx-230, so can't say what they are like.

I have a set of Altec Lansings that have a sub, and I like them. I also have a set of Harmon JBLs (no sub) that work well at hotel room volume.

Go and listen for yourself, or it's a crap shoot.

Lampie

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.