Laptops forum

General discussion

Powerbook or Windows?

by PrincessSarah / April 21, 2004 1:21 PM PDT

Hey all! I'm a college student and I've just been given permission from my mom to get a new computer. Now, I've narrowed it down to a laptop, since portability is a plus. The big choice I have left is a regular PC or a G4 Powerbook. I know I most definately want a 15'-17' screen and I know since this is going to be a desktop replacement that has to last a few years, I'm gonna be spending about 2000. I'm pretty proficient at working both Mac and Windows, so thats not a problem. I've heard many things about both, but I was hoping for some real life feedback and such.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Powerbook or Windows?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Powerbook or Windows?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Powerbook or Windows?
by glb613 / April 21, 2004 8:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Powerbook or Windows?

You need to check with the school and find out which one would be compatible. No computer is good if you can't use it on the school's network.

Collapse -
by MK27 / April 23, 2004 1:21 AM PDT

Disclaimer: This is not based on personal experience! Happy

Based on what I've heard, I'd suggest the (latest) Power Book. These are better known for longer battery life.

Another practical thing is that PC hardware gets outdated much faster than Mac, so this one should be good enough for a few years. If all that you need is available on the Mac, then go for it. I'd also suggest **not going** for the latest and greatest hardware - this might have issues that have not yet been discovered or ironed out. One model before might be a good idea.

Collapse -
by pjperez75 / April 23, 2004 10:52 AM PDT

I am going through the same problem right now, and here's where I'm at: I'm a current powerbook user (G3 2000 powerbook) and love it. I'll have to find a way to emulate windows, so I can run some stats software. Oh well, why not just get Virtual PC?

For $2000 apple gives you almost everything-great screen, fast processor, ease of use, DVD burner, light weight, long battery life, good software, and some pretty high cool factor. It will also connect to whatever school network you have as well. If price is not a limiting factor I'd say got for it! The fact you'll likely never get a super malicious virus is reason enough (you'll still get some pretty annoying Word viruses though). The one BIG negative is applecare-it won't cover a cracked screen, and in a laptop, I think its a must.
For about $500 less, you give up weight, DVD burning, and cool factor in an HP or Dell. You'd also get really great service and support.
Heck, writing this makes me only want the Apple more! I've decided on the PC though, becuase my school has a great deal aready set up with Dell. I've also heard some pretty bad stories about Virtual PC.

I hope this helps (enjoy the new G4)

Collapse -
Re:Re:Powerbook or Windows?
by PrincessSarah / April 25, 2004 5:34 AM PDT

Hey thanks! Luckily I'm not on a school network :o) and I think I'm getting a Mac, just b/c there's nothing I need a PC for. :o) I appreciate the comments!!

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Powerbook or Windows?
by ShooterX / May 1, 2004 4:06 PM PDT

I say you should take the PC....much better compatibility, and you can find PC's much cheaper than MACs. Support is also better. Im a student as well, and I just bought a new notebook pc, serves me well.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!