Laptops forum

Powerade spilled on Laptop,works,but a problem!(read pls)

by hyun18 / May 19, 2012 6:56 AM PDT

So my sister spilled some amounts of Powerade onto my HP (Pavilion DV7-3165dx ) laptop (2 years old), it spreaded a little(?)on the keyboard (not sure if it penetrated through?) but we managed to immediately turn it over, turned it off ( It dididn't shut itself off,yet), took the charger off, and then the battery later.
While upside-down, I dried it with a blow dryer for a little while (on cool setting).
Then I let it sit on an upside down V shape for like 2 days with a small fan pointed at it. Then let it sit for another day.
I turned it on yesterday (after inspecting it and everything, I even opened the dvd drive by poking through the hole to open it manually, this is the side where it mostly spilled, I looked at the CD drive and smelled it and saw no trace of Powerade residue, so I assumed the motherboard diidn''t even get wet at all ), everything was working flawlessly...
But I noticed when It's turned off, but has some power source,(such as the battery or the charger plugged in ) the indicator lights (stop,forward,wireless button etc) and the light on the DVD drive would otherwise stay/go on and off (flicker) sometimes and you could open the DVD drive by just pressing the button!
Why is this? It seems the electricity from the charger or battery is somehow powering the lights?
Is this a bad thing?

I've tried power draining (disconnecting every power source and holding down the power button), but it doesn't seem to work?

I've also heard worse post laptop-spill where it resulted on the laptop acting weirdly but after a few days it was gone and working completely is it possible there is still some liquid in there?

-Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Powerade spilled on Laptop,works,but a problem!(read pls)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Powerade spilled on Laptop,works,but a problem!(read pls)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2012 7:04 AM PDT

The end of a laptop. But not the end of your files if you forgot to back them up. We remove the HDD and put that into some USB case so the files can be retrieved. For that that must fix the laptop we swap the keyboard and the motherboard as those are the smallest parts in this design today that usually fail under such use.

Collapse -
Uhm,not helpful at all
by hyun18 / May 19, 2012 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Frankly?

The Laptop works FLAWlessly ,except those lights turning on even though its shut off.

Collapse -
Then you have to consider it's broken.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2012 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Uhm,not helpful at all

As you read the top of this forum we go over the basic parts of a laptop so folk can see there is not many parts there. Small issues, even the one you noted tend to mean big repair bills.

There are a few that want it to be some reset or cheap part. That's what I want too but with laptops this issue is a big one as it's rare we can fix the machine without swapping parts.

Collapse -
by milkfiend / May 24, 2012 7:54 AM PDT

i spilled milk on my compaq presario, everything else seems to be fine bar a select few buttons on the bottpm left of the keyboard which no longer function. I.e x c v etc.

(I typed this with the on screen keyboard)

Is there any way to maybe reboot all functions to these lost buttons? or do i just buy a usb keyboard?

Collapse -
Given the price of laptop keyboards
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2012 10:33 AM PDT
In reply to: similar...

I change those a lot. Less than 100 bucks for any keyboard today. At the top of this forum you will find BONUS MATERIAL from a book (again, thank you to the author!)

Collapse -
by milkfiend / May 24, 2012 11:25 AM PDT

thanks for getting back to me, i take it there is no sequence to reboot/renergise these buttons then?

And by the new keyboard, do you mean a stand - alone keyboard or actually putting the laptop in for repair and replacing the old one?

Sorry, im new, im learning as i go.

Collapse -
Your choice as to USB or laptop keyboard.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2012 2:58 PM PDT
In reply to: same...

The pricy keyboards run about 90 and those are back lit. The normal price is under 50 here for a normal keyboard. CHEAP compared to a shop counter and you can see examples galore today in this forum sticky as well as on the net.

Sorry I know of no one that tries to revive keyboards (and succeeds.)

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?