Computer Help forum

General discussion

power to graphics card

I recently installed a Nvidia Geforce 7600 gs graphics card into my system however when i switch the computer on it says that there is insufficient power to the graphics card. what could i do to get sufficient power to the bgraphics card?????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: power to graphics card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: power to graphics card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Get a larger power supply

In reply to: power to graphics card

Get a power supply that is at least 100W bigger than your current one. I would also suggest not buying some cheap no-name thing, but spending the extra money on a quality power supply.

Collapse -
Did your card have some power supply connector?

And is it plugged in?

Bob

Collapse -
power to graphics card

In reply to: Did your card have some power supply connector?

it has a power supply connector on the back of it but i don't have a clue where it connects to.

Collapse -
Time to read the install instructions.

I don't have them to check your work.

Bob

Collapse -
read installation guide

In reply to: Time to read the install instructions.

it doesn't tell me anywhere in the installation guide where to put the additional power supply!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Supply a link to that manual.

In reply to: read installation guide

They may have made some assumptions that you would know what connections go where. I don't know which exact card and manual you have so supply a link for members to look at.

Bob

Collapse -
manual

In reply to: Supply a link to that manual.

Collapse -
Link, Comment.

In reply to: manual

Collapse -
Simple

Grab any free rectangular 4-pin plug that will reach, and plug that in. If you don't have a free one, you'll have to track down a y-splitter, which will cost a couple of bucks. If you still get the lack of power message, refer to my previous post about the larger power supply.

Collapse -
relpy

In reply to: Simple

cheers i got one of them so i plug one end into the graphics crad but where does the other one go

Collapse -
Figure it out

In reply to: relpy

Even if you know nothing about electronics, this should be very simple to figure out with a little common sense. Seeing is how I'm a huge fan of common sense, and am ever mortified at its rapid decline in the world, this is my meager effort to help try and restore some of that to the world.

Work it out... You had one power connector, which was plugged into something, and then you attached the Y-splitter to make it two... You have two things you need to have plugged in order for them to work properly... Because if you have a connector left over, that would mean you didn't need the y-splitter at all.

Collapse -

In reply to: Figure it out

i didnt have a power conecctor connected to something

Collapse -

In reply to: Figure it out

i have a cable coming from the power supply but the graphics card connector is different from the power supply connector.

Collapse -
Need pictures.

In reply to: reply

Since you haven't described what you have well, maybe you can take pictures and share them via some picture sharing site.

Bob

Collapse -
reply to need pictures

In reply to: Need pictures.

what picture sharing site did ya have in mind

Collapse -
Your choice.

In reply to: reply to need pictures

Collapse -
If your graphics card...a PNY 7600GS has a separate power

In reply to: reply to need pictures

connector ....you need to attach the applicable plug from the Power Supply (PSU) to the connector on the video card (GPU). If your PSU does not have the right connector for your GPU, you could (1)get a converter cable for the 'PSU to the GPU' (2) get a new PSU that has the right connector or (3) a different GPU which doesn't require a separate power source or one that matches you current PSU have. In the interim, suggest using the old CPU.

Best,
VAPCMD

Collapse -

In reply to: If your graphics card...a PNY 7600GS has a separate power

i am going to follow the first step with a converter where would i get a cable like that from on the internet? what type of cable converter am i looking for. cheers

Collapse -
(NT) Where do you shop online for PC parts ?

In reply to: reply

Collapse -
Read

In reply to: Where do you shop online for PC parts ?

Tigerdirect.com

Ok this is what you need to do. I am assuming your are using an AGP system. Check the 12V rail on your Power Supply (should have a rating on the power supply idicating a 12V and an amp rating underneath), this is the power to your AGP Slot. If your 12V Rail has less then 20A, you can forget using that power supply. If it has more, disconnect your floppy drive power supply cable and PLUG IT INTO YOUR VIDEOCARD. This will work. Who needs a floppy these days anyways. If you dont have a AGP system reply to this or if you dont have a floppy drive. If you need a new power supply get a brand name one rated 350W +, good ones are Enermax, Cooler Master, Antec, and a couple others

Collapse -

In reply to: Where do you shop online for PC parts ?

right cheers mate i'll try that tonight and i will let ya know, cheers for ya help.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.