PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Power supply upgrade

Hi i'm looking to upgrade my power supply in my sony pcv-R14G so i can upgrade the graphics card. the problem that i have is finding a low profile power supply of minimum 400wts. I think sony makes things difficult so you cant upgrade and have to buy a new computer.I tried circuitcity, best buy and compusa and they dont have low profile power supplies. Can anyone help me? thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Power supply upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Power supply upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sure about the model name and number ???

In reply to: Power supply upgrade

Collapse -
Hey VAPCMD did you

In reply to: Sure about the model name and number ???

mean Got NO such number???

I couldn't get it to take that number.

Collapse -
Yup ! That's the problem...model number provided didn't

In reply to: Hey VAPCMD did you

match anything I could find at the Sony Parts site.

Makes it tough to help.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
PCV-RZ14G

In reply to: Yup ! That's the problem...model number provided didn't

sorry thats the correct number now i forgot one letter PCV-RZ14G

Collapse -
Use the link provided ...only option listed is a refurb for

In reply to: PCV-RZ14G

$225...UGH !

Believe this is the PSU part number '146870914'

If it were mine ....I'd double check the SONY PSU part number, take measurements, see if it wired generically and look for a generic replacement. $225 for a 400W PSU is absurd and a SONY GOTCHA !

If you can't find an economical replacement ...may be better to use the money toward a newer PC.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
PSU Purchases

I purchased from PC Power & Cooling..website..www.pcpowercooling.com/
I rebuilt my old DELL Dimension 2350..which was a P4[1.8GHz]at 200-watts..and placed a PC Power & Cooling 400-watt in the Tower..perfect fit..just over $$200.00/I now run a P4[531]3.0GHz..plus a new Mobo..
Video cards are for Advanced Users from what I have read..
and 600-watts seems to be the minimum on having the NEED for a Video Card..
Power Supply's come in Form Factor..plus you want to measure the one in your PC..the serious part is about useing a Power-On Button..
Some PSU incorporate a Power-On Button..some DON'T/the latter would need the resource of your Front Panel Power Switch..
And you Do Not want to eliminate any LED's that inform of PC Operation..
Check on Form Factor..
and the 2 x 10 or the 2 x 12 Configuration....for the MAIN Plug on the Mother Board..
I saw little differance in upgradeing..except that extra wires are there..
..there are some New Specs on Power Hook-up on the Board..
Research it..its not too difficult..
Start w/FORM FACTOR.

Collapse -
I believe that youare searching for a

MicroATX supply.n Since most MicroATX mobos use onboard video and sound and share memory for video they have supplies as low as 145 Watts. If you need 400 watts for the hardware, I wqould doubt that you could cool the system adequately in that small case.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!