HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Power Supply Trouble (overheating)

by SmileyCheshire / August 20, 2010 12:19 PM PDT

I recently bought a XION 630 watt atx power supply that was both Intel and Nvidia ready, assuming that it would sufficiently replace the default 300 watt power supply that came with my computer. Basically, I needed to power a Geforce gtx 465 card that I had installed on my computer. It worked well for a while, but crashed shortly after playing a demanding game and overheating.
The cooling fan is located on the bottom of the power supply, and I don't think there is enough airflow.

CompSpecs :

Windows 7 64 bit
Intel Core i7 860
8GB DDR3 RAM
1TB hard drive
Geforce Gtx 465

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Power Supply Trouble (overheating)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Power Supply Trouble (overheating)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cooling
by Phil Crase / August 20, 2010 9:56 PM PDT

I would be looking at the CPU and CPU fan first, then case fans. Assuming you set up CPU/grease etc. Could be that the supply is whimpy but tend to lean toward heating issues created by component cooling.

Collapse -
My CPU is staying cool
by SmileyCheshire / August 21, 2010 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Cooling

I know for a fact that the power supply overheated, and I'm starting to wonder if it has to do with my graphics card location. You see, my card has two intake fans located on top of it, facing up towards the top of the chassis. However, the power supply that died had an intake fan below it facing towards the fans on the card. Could that be the problem?

Collapse -
Add a fan and be happy
by wb2001 / August 21, 2010 4:33 AM PDT
In reply to: My CPU is staying cool
Collapse -
Over heating power supply
by Agamaras / August 22, 2010 4:31 PM PDT

Not sure how you have a video card that blows up into the power supply and why it would be so close. I may be wrong about all cards but I have never installed a video card with the fans blowing towards the power supply. If I'm not mistaken doesn't the Geforce GTX 465 have enclosed fans that blow out the back of the PC ? Dual slot single GPU. If that is the case then you may indeed have an airflow problem, but remember, Power Supplies, even new ones, go bad. I have had more power supplies go bad on me over the years than anything else. I bought a new one last year, installed it and it lasted 1 month, got another one just like it and it has worked for aver a year now just fine with no airflow configuration change.
What you generally need is good air coming in (preferably the front) and bad air going out the back preferably. You will have to find some way of moving that bad air from between your video card and Power supply.
Maybe someone else can give me some warm fuzzy on this but I'm not getting it on the Fans facing upwards part on the video card unless it's just some brand I don't know about. If you buy a video card with the fans on the other side that will surely help. All I know is my video card fans face the bottom of the case and they are on the other end of my motherboard and the cpu sits between them and the fan.

Collapse -
overheating power supply
by Agamaras / August 23, 2010 9:00 PM PDT

Okay, there are Power Supplies available with the fan on each end (Thermaltake) This would keep your video card from blowing directly into it, or should. "Cooling" fans are kind of misleading as they are mostly designed to draw heat away from the device or vent it out of the case with the exception of intake case fans to draw in cool air from outside.
What kind of venting does your case have ? I have found that almost always on PCs that I have repaired for people with overheating problems that the airflow outside of the PC was heavily restricted, overly warm or both. And keep the PC off the floor and away from direct sunlight. Dust and heat are a deadly combination.
Your solution should be 2 case fans for about 6 or 7 bucks each. One to suck the air in and one on the back to suck it out. Preferably bringing in cool air from the front and sucking it out across the Motherboard along with the warm air created in the case through the back.

Collapse -
You mean this one ...
by VAPCMD / August 21, 2010 6:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
You need better case cooling as well
by Willy / August 23, 2010 1:15 AM PDT

It doesn't surprise me after some intense game playing or prolonged game play you got a hot system. let's face it, your demands on the PSU and overall cooling is bound to stress out the PC. Your system isn't a wimp as to its build, so increase the cooling like another case fan, etc., to help here.

I have found using any PSU that's "dual fan" setup to better cool. However, the PSU is taxed when demands on it are great and that alone under heat stress decrease the wattage output stable level until it actually crashes. These crashes are prone from heat stress and/or overload or prolonged play. Afterall, 630W is far greater than 300W, BUT quality does matter. Which is often why I say, buy a decent namebrand. A namebrand costs more but its quality that delivers and/or can be counted on. If your review all the brand out there, check the specs. Again, if the case is cooled better it should maintain a better stable temp. level too. Also, "airflow" is critical here so tidy-up what and where you can, to include a good cleaning.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.