PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Power Supply starts and stops by itself.

by jhilton3 / April 11, 2005 11:16 AM PDT

My friend?s computer power supply will just suddenly come on or shut off for no reason. In the middle of the night they can hear it come on. When this happens the drives seem to try to come on. I checked the supply with a power supply tester with everything unplugged from it. I could turn the switch on the tester to on and it did not come on. When it did come on it was fine by the tester and I did a voltmeter check on it also and that was fine. When they were using it, it started making a funny noise which was the processor fan. It does not seem to be running good. Then it says that there is no mouse attached. Sometimes it boots up, sometimes it does not. I unplugged the case switch from the mother board and tested the supply again and it still does what it wants to. Any advice??? Thanks in advance for any help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Power Supply starts and stops by itself.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Power Supply starts and stops by itself.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you checked in the BIOS???
by Ray Harinec / April 11, 2005 11:40 AM PDT

Many include the capability to set the time for the system to come on. Simply disable that function.

Or go into the Power Management section and set to user define and then disable all possible options that can turn the computer on or bring it out of sleep mode, in the event that they actually are putting it into sleep mode when they think that they are shutting down.

Be aware that with ATX sytems the power supply DOES NOT TURN OFF when you shut down with a normal Windows shutdown. The Main Rails [voltages, 5 volts, 12 volts, 3.3 volts and the minus 5 and minus 12] go off however a 5 volt standby voltage remains on "forever". This voltage is what allows such automatic turn on features such as ON by LAN, On by MODEM [when the phone rings], ON by time and date etc etc.

If you have the computer plugged in to a surge protector with a switch, you can turn that standby voltage off by turning the surge protector off. You can also, in most BIOSes then have the system turn back on as soon as you turn the surge protector switch on if you prefer.

Many BIOSes are set to put the system into sleep mode [standby] if one momentarily depresses the power switch, while to turn it off one holds the switch depressed for 4 to 5 seconds. But either way the 5 volt standby voltage is always there.

You don't have a power supply problem. Simply not a full understanding of the features of ATX type systems and the settings to make in the BIOS..

Collapse -
by jhilton3 / April 11, 2005 11:55 AM PDT

First, thanks for your post! But, with everything unpluged from the supply it will go on and off 4 or 5 times in a minute or not at all or stay on a while or do nothing. It's weird! I have never come across anything like this.

Collapse -
RE
by nerdyboy1234 / April 11, 2005 12:09 PM PDT

What kind of power supply is it?

Try getting another one?

Collapse -
by jhilton3 / April 11, 2005 12:55 PM PDT

First, thanks for your post! But, with everything unpluged from the supply it will go on and off 4 or 5 times in a minute or not at all or stay on a while or do nothing. It's weird! I have never come across anything like this.

Collapse -
You mean that the cable from
by Ray Harinec / April 11, 2005 1:50 PM PDT

the power Supply to the mobo is unplugged, as well as all other output cables/connectors?? The power supply is plugged in to the AC Outlet though, correct???

Would have been nice to know that at the beginning, the basic cause is simple fixing it depends on where the fault is occurring.

Either somehow the wiring in the cable to the mobo, or its connector has some kind of fault that one of the ground wires is connected to the green wire on pin 14 or the same effect is happening due to a fault within the supply. This is the way that the mobo turns on the main outputs in ATX supplies. It simply puts a logic low [ground]on pin 14 when you push the power button. {note that there is a black [common] wire on each side of the green wire.

If no chance of damaged wires or conductive connector itself or damage to the connector, it is simply a defective power supply where the same fault happens within the interior of the supply.

You can use this method to check a new supply without ever removing it completely from the box, just need to plug it into an outlet and jumper pin 14 to a black wire. LOL

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.