PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Power Supply questions.

by prepaidpwnage / September 21, 2008 1:42 AM PDT

I am planning on building a pc in the near future. It will be an AMD and Nvidia gaming pc. I have used many power supply calculators on the internet and they all give me different results. I want to get one that will have alot of room for upgrade as this will be a work in progress.
I Plan on starting with thin configuration-
-MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum mobo
-AMD Phenom 9950 BLACK EDITION (hoping to overclock)
-Corsair 4gb SDRAM DDR2 1066 (2x2 gb sticks)
-Samsung DVD burner combo
-COOLER MASTER RR-CCH-LB12-GP
-Sunbeam RHK-EX-SV Rheobus-Extreme
-small ide hd from old pc, to be removed later
-4 case fans
and a SILVERSTONE KUBLAI Series KL03B-W case.

in the future i would like to add
-1 or 2 Geforce GTX260s
-a 10,000rpm sata drive
-7,200rpm sata drive
-maybe a tv tuner

Like i said this will be a work in progress for a few months. I want to make sure i get the right PSU. One calculator said 1400 and another said 500. I'm not new to computers but this will be my first build from scratch. Also if you see any problems with my set-up, please comment on it.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Power Supply questions.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Power Supply questions.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Asking for psu
by ivarm / September 21, 2008 2:37 AM PDT

Have a look for this psu
I think u will find sufficient
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=st85zf

If u want to have more than one graphic card to be supplied for your config perhaps u can consider to have two psu one for the graphic supply including fans for this Because these will suck power from your supply

And the rest HDD CPU MB CD/DVD Fanctrl case fans on the other one

I think if u stay over 700 watt u would not face any problem but the noise from the fans will probably want u to put the pc in another room

Good luck

Collapse -
VGA power supply.
by prepaidpwnage / September 21, 2008 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Asking for psu

What vga power supply would you recomend? I am looking to keep this as cool as possible without liquid cooling.

Collapse -
Here's one I recommend and you read good things about
by VAPCMD / September 21, 2008 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: VGA power supply.
Collapse -
Get a big one
by Willy / September 21, 2008 3:05 AM PDT

You're a gamer, want to OC, then stuff system with goodies, then don't hold back on the PSU. Get the biggest hulking PSU you can afford then add 100W to it. Having a PSU that's more than your needs isn't bad, the system will tap on your to the demands. Plus, be sure you have good cooling as well. The topic of PSUs has been talked before on these forums, search them for similar results. 750W and 1000W are available and more than enough for future needs also a brand name is very desirable. This is one area you shouldn't save costs on, IMHO as it the foundation of a prolonged service.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
how goes this?
by prepaidpwnage / September 21, 2008 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Get a big one
Collapse -
The 850W model looks good
by Willy / September 21, 2008 9:26 PM PDT
In reply to: how goes this?

Regardless, check the specs and look for key words, like certified SLI or Cross-Fire, SPC, and U/L label plus avg. output. The labeled wattage usually is peak and is not to be confused with true stable output of the industry std. 82% value of that wattage. However, I like to use 75% rating of the posted wattage to get the "real world" stable output. So, if you find a 500W PSU, think it really puts out roughly 400W, then under my rating about 375W., thus roughly stable at 375-400W. It gives you a true measure of the typical output, but also consider "heat stress" which will degrade the *stable* output and at any given time become less and/or lead to a failure due to demands. The labeled rating suggests a "peak value" but can not sustain it for prolonged periods which again leads to failure.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
check the review sites...
by Whitecougar / September 21, 2008 12:34 PM PDT

I agree with willy as far as watts go. Also remember that the specs most manufacturers list on the label is peak ratings and the sustained rating is somewhat lower. You should also look for tests results that show how constant or "clean" the power delivered to your components is. My personal preference is Ultra brand or Tagan.

Collapse -
is this good?
by prepaidpwnage / September 21, 2008 8:32 PM PDT

an 850w thermaltake toughpower with eff. of 87%?

Collapse -
read this: Debunking Power Supply Myths
by ramarc / September 21, 2008 11:42 PM PDT
http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3413&p=1

to estimate power draw for new systems, you really only need to consider the graphics card(s). nvidia recommends a 500w power supply for a gtx 260 and 650w for sli. their recommendation takes other system compoenents into account. a typical system with a gtx 260 will draw less than 400w under load.
http://www.hothardware.com/Articles/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-260-Core-216-EVGA-Zotac/?page=9

p.s.: why the phenom? core2quad outperforms it and has greater oc potential. 3ghz is simple to hit with a q6600 (just set 333mhz fsb) and it will be faster than a 3ghz phenom (which will require a lot more work). add another $100 and get a q9400 which has an easy oc to to 3.2ghz (400mhz fsb).
Collapse -
Unfamilar with intel.
by prepaidpwnage / September 22, 2008 5:39 AM PDT

yeha... i am. Plus with the new AMD chips coming out i will either get the new ones or the one that i have already picked out will drop in price.

how much is that cpu? what mobo would i use?

Collapse -
new AMD chips.
by prepaidpwnage / September 22, 2008 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Unfamilar with intel.

i really want to do some research on the new amd chips that are coming out early october. i hear that they will be smaller and use less electricity. does anyone have a link to some information? i cannot find any good information on the chips(prices power consumption ect.)

thanks.

Collapse -
no amd chips can beat core2quad for performance
by ramarc / September 22, 2008 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: new AMD chips.

Phenoms are value chips and priced as such (<$200USD). AMD's roadmap shows new processors on October 8 but no faster chips.... 2.6ghz is still the top.
AMD roadmap

A phenom 9950 ($175USD) matches a c2q Q6600 ($190USD) in performance but as i said before, the q6600 can be automatically OC'd to 3ghz by just manually selecting a 333mhz fsb. no voltage tweaks are typically necessary and the stock cooler will be fine.

you can interpolate phenom 2.6ghz 9950 and c2q 2.66ghz q9400 ($275) scores from these benchmarks. add 5% to the 2.5ghz 9850 scores and 6% to the 2.5ghz q9300 scores.

Collapse -
amd...
by prepaidpwnage / September 22, 2008 9:48 AM PDT

even though they refresh more, amd does more in each refresh. lets not get into an intel amd battle here.

what is a good eff. rate for a PSU?

Collapse -
not a battle. intel core2duo/quad is faster x2/phenom
by ramarc / September 22, 2008 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: amd...

that's a undisputed fact just like athlons were faster than pentiuum 4s. and nehalem/bloomflield (intel's new chips that debut later this year) will be 10-15% than core2. amd has no chips that can compete above the $200 price point and that's why their top-of-the-line processor is $175USD. amd is a fine value choice, but if you afford more than $200 for a CPU, core2duo/core2quad is the clear choice.

as for a power supply, any name brand 650w or higher will be fine.

Collapse -
afordablility and performance.
by prepaidpwnage / September 22, 2008 10:38 AM PDT

i only have a summer job. Im a lifeguard. AMD gives alot of base cpu with room for more. They are in expensive and have great motherboards that will give me room to grow. I have always used AMD. I can not afford DDR3 RAM nor do i need it....

now lets drop it. what is a good eff. rate for a PSU. the thermaltake toughpower has 87%. Is that resectable?

Collapse -
(NT) just look for an "80-plus" certified power supply
by ramarc / September 22, 2008 10:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
k
by prepaidpwnage / September 23, 2008 10:01 AM PDT

thanks,the one that i'm looking at is, and for 120USD for thermaltake 850w...soudns good right?

Collapse -
700w
by prepaidpwnage / September 24, 2008 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: k

SLI is out of the picture. with one 15000 rpm hard drive, one 7,200, a dvd drive, one geforce 260, 9950 BE, four sticks of ram would a 700watt be enough?

Collapse -
The PSU previously recommended is outstanding and
by VAPCMD / September 24, 2008 10:53 AM PDT
In reply to: 700w
Collapse -
The PSU previously recommended is outstanding and
by VAPCMD / September 24, 2008 11:03 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?