Computer Help forum

power supply question

by pal5510 / July 9, 2012 6:52 AM PDT

I have an old HP A656X desktop that needs a new power supply. The current power supply is a bestec atx 250w 12Z Rev. D2. I'm trying to keep the cost as low as possible. I've seen power supplies that have that model # without the D2 part. Is that essential? It seems that I could get a new one for $18.00 free shipping without the D2 but with D2 it's a used model for the same price or about $25-30.00 new.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: power supply question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: power supply question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Model numbers don't have to match?
by pal5510 / July 9, 2012 12:35 PM PDT
In reply to: power supply question

It's obvious I'm clueless about this stuff. I checked the PSUs on the link you provided and see the model numbers aren't anything close. So, if I understand correctly as long as it fits in the space and it's equal to or more wattage it doesn't matter if the numbers match? Is the ATX a designation that makes them work?

I'll definitely take your advice on the higher wattage. Thanks for taking the time.

Collapse -
If you want.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2012 3:40 PM PDT

You can look at the mechanical dimensions, the pins of the power connections and more. But from what I see, it's an ATX supply with some thousands of possible replacements.

All Answers

Collapse -
It looks like a run of the mill ATX PSU.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2012 7:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
Don't forget better PSUs are usually more efficient
by VAPCMD / July 9, 2012 9:49 AM PDT

and use less electricity than an inexpensive 250-300 watt PSU. You may spend more upfront but use less electricity spending less in the long run. If you can spring for a better one, it also a good component for another system.

Good Luck

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?