General discussion

Power supply question

I have a 24 pin power supply socket on my motherboard and a malfunctioning power supply with a 24 pin plug. I want to get a new power supply, but the vast majority I see for sale have 20+4 pin plugs. I want to know can I plug a 20+4 pin power supply plug directly into my 24 pin socket on my motherboard, or do I need an adapter to make it work? And if not, what kind of adapter do I need? Is there a "20+4 pin female to 24 pin male" adapter, or will the "20 pin female to 24 pin male" work?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Power supply question
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Power supply question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Are you sure?

Are you sure? Have you actually counted the pin holes?

- Collapse -
Yes, I'm sure.

Yes, I'm sure. The socket on the motherboard has 24 pin spots on it. I have an adapter but it's the reverse of what I would need. It's designed to take a 24 pin power supply and make it fit a 20 pin socket.

- Collapse -
Power Supply
- Collapse -
The 20+4 connectors I've seen just allow

disconnect of a 4 pin set to use on older MBs. A section just snaps off and hangs to the side. You'd just not snap that section off.

- Collapse -
Ok...

So basically, I use the 20 pin to 24 pin adapter and leave the "+4" part of it not connected?

- Collapse -
from what I've read

from your original post is that you have a motherboard with a 24 pin connector.
Now, you have a new power supply that has a 20+4 pin connector.
Connect the power supply (20+4) connection directly into your motherboards' 24 pin connection-no adapters required.

(all power supplies these days come with a 20+4 pin connecter)

B.

- Collapse -
(NT) You need 24 to 24 ...
- Collapse -
A short 20+4 explainer.

Look at http://www.smpspowersupply.com/connectors-pinouts.html to see the differences from ATX 1.0 to 2.0.

To accommodate old and new boards, power supplies come with a 20+4 power connection. For older boards you slide off the +4 item and you can use it on ATX 1.0 systems. For newer ATX 2.0 systems you leave it in place and plug it in.

But a comment here. Why buy stuff from stores that don't know this?
Bob

- Collapse -
*Forehead slap*

Ok, I feel like a real idiot right now. I haven't bought a new power supply yet, but the 20+4 pin ones are much cheaper than the 24 pin ones, that's why I asked I took my power supply plug out of the socket and looked at it closely, and it's actually a 20+4 pin one as well. I didn't realize it until it came apart when I unplugged it. Thank you for all your help everyone.

- Collapse -
Not the i___.

Sorry but you asked and this removes you from that camp.

Apologies if this offends anyone.
Bob

- Collapse -
The reason...

The reason I didn't notice it at first was because I had another 20+4 pin power supply on another computer. It's older and has a 20 pin plug on the motherboard. When I got it, the 20 pin and the +4 pin weren't connected like mine was on this newer computer, so I didn't think to look and see if they were connected. I just knew I counted 24 pins on the plug and 24 pin holes on the mobo socket.

Thanks for all your help.

One last question though. The stock power supply for my computer was a Lite-On 630W. So I don't have to lock myself down to a power supply at 630W, what kind of wattage range can I look at? Also, this is something else I didn't know. When it says 630W, does it ALWAYS pull 630W of power, or does it only pull power as it needs it up to a maximum of 630W?

- Collapse -
The car analogy.

Your car has let's say a 400 horsepower engine. It doesn't produce that much all the time. Just we you hit it.

Similar for power supplies. Let me dismiss conversion efficiency for now and say that if what you plug into it draws 100 Watts than at the AC line it will pull just over 100 Watts.

Bob

- Collapse -
Typo.

Change we to "when".

- Collapse -
Thanks

That's all I wanted to know. Thanks!

CNET Forums

Forum Info