Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Power Supply Question

by sfig1st / May 7, 2007 10:30 AM PDT

Hi, I just recently purchased a new computer with some "higher end" components (I think) which obiosly requires more power. Without getting into detail with my setup and calculating watts is there programs that will tell me ho much power im using?

I have Speed Fan which I think should tell me how much power im using, I just don't know how to calculate everything up.

Do I want the total for Vbat (in Speed Fan) or somthing?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Power Supply Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Power Supply Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This Should Help..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 8, 2007 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Power Supply Question
Collapse -
Power Supply
by sfig1st / May 8, 2007 8:08 AM PDT
In reply to: This Should Help..

This chart would help if I did not feel that im using more power than this chart estimates. I also am wondering how I can find out the highest reccomended # of watts I should be using. I remember when buying my computer, I remember hearing that I could just get by (or somthing close to that) with this upgraded power supply...

Here is my Setup:

Intel Core2Duo CPU E6600 @ 2.40GHz overclocked to 2.6 GHz + HeatSink & Fan

Two sticks of 1.0 GB DDR2 667 MHz

Windows XP

Radeon X1950 XT GPU + Fan (which is built in)

ATI T200 Sound Card

250 GB Hard Drive

2 "Super Multi" CD/DVD drives

Gigabyte 965P-DS3 Motherboard

Keyboard + Mouse

Fan at the back of Case and a fan in the front of the case

Thanks

Collapse -
Also....
by sfig1st / May 8, 2007 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Power Supply

I also have a 1.44 MB floppy drive....

The power supply I have is a Thermaltake TR2-420 ATX 12.V 2.0

Collapse -
Found It
by sfig1st / May 8, 2007 8:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Also....
Collapse -
I'd Go With More...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 8, 2007 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Found It

Since you've listed a lot of hardware there and you're going to be overclocking and you appear to be a gamer, I'd go with 500+ and a "GOOD" 500 or 550 watt PSU which should supply a quality and even power source.. When the processor and multiple drives are all running you want something that will do the job.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
ENERMAX 535W SLI READY ATX POWER SUPPLY 20/24+6+6
by sfig1st / May 8, 2007 10:51 AM PDT
In reply to: I'd Go With More...

Would a: ENERMAX 535W SLI READY ATX POWER SUPPLY 20/24+6+6 do the job?

also while I was browsing the power supplies I notice alot of tables like this one:

EG565
AC Input: P-VE : 115/230 VAC, 50-60Hz, 12A/6A, Manual Switching
AX-VE(G): 230 VAC, 50-60Hz, 4.3A, Active PFC
AX-VE(W): 100-240 VAC, 50-60Hz, 9.5-4.0A, Automatic Switching
DC Output +3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 -12V +5Vsb Total Power
32A 32A 22A 22A 0.6A 3A 535W
170W 408W(34A) 7.2W 15W
512.8W 22.2W

Can you explain what this means?

Also is there anyway to see how amny watts my computer is using? (progrmans etc.)

Thanks

Collapse -
Answer Already Given..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 8, 2007 3:40 PM PDT

The chart I supplied earlier gives you a basic idea of how many watts are capable from the system.. At any one time, depending on any changes in the hardware and the amount of "work" the hardware is doing will change the wattage used either up or down.

As to which specific power supply you choose, that's up to you.. Google is a great tool for looking at reviews. Tomshardware.com has a number of good reviews as well.

As to the specifications of the power supply you've listed, sorry, I'm not electrician.. Others here are much better in that area than I am.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.