PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Power Supply Problem? - does not detect my 2 hard drives....

by VengeanceFury009 / July 24, 2008 1:55 AM PDT

So I'm pretty sure this is a PSU problem. When I turn my computer on after it being powered down for a while, it will not detect either of my 2 hard drives. I assume they are not getting any power. I turn off my psu via the power switch on the back of the unit, then turn it back on...wait for it to charge back up and start my computer up again. Everything runs smoothly after that. I have to do this procedure every time I want to turn my computer on. I am fortunate not to have had either of my hard drives fail/fry due to this. My question is does anyone know what is happening? Is the psu going completely down the tubes? And has does it keep from frying my drives? Is there a protection system that turns off all power to the hard drives if there is not enough power to give to them? Specs below:

Raidmax Smilodon gaming case with 500 watt raidmax psu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156062

4 sticks 1gb corsair 800mhz pc6400 ddr2 ram

intel core 2 duo e6400 2.13 ghz

asus p5b-e mobo socket 775, intel

2 hard drives:
western digital caviar se 160 gb - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822144415
seagate 160 gb

optical: lite-on dual layer lightscribe http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106019

xfx geforce 7900gs http://reviews.cnet.com/video-components/xfx-geforce-7900-gs/1995-3025_7-32434231.html

case has 3 80mm 1 120mm fans with leds on 3 of them.... had a cold cathode tube running but turned it off... 4.1 surround sound jbl system .... logitech wireless keyboard/mouse .... epson cx8400 all in one printer

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Power Supply Problem? - does not detect my 2 hard drives....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Power Supply Problem? - does not detect my 2 hard drives....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which BIOS?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2008 2:16 AM PDT

"Enhance ATA ODD compatibility" at the maker's support web page tells me your BIOS may be out of date.

Collapse -
updated to 1704
by VengeanceFury009 / August 4, 2008 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Which BIOS?

I updated my bios to asus v.1704. I have waited a while to see if it has done anything but just now the same problem has occurred. There is a beta version of a newer bios and another bios version that is in their ftp but not on the main site. Should I update to those or is this a hardware issue? I saw on the asus site someone else with the same problem with the same board, could is be my motherboard going bad. His post:
"However, if I reset the CMOS by using the jumpers, my computer seems to 'remember' my hard drives at this point.
I replaced my cmos battery but that didnt help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated."

Collapse -
(NT) Sure the CMOS jumpers are in the right place ?
by VAPCMD / August 5, 2008 11:53 AM PDT
In reply to: updated to 1704
Collapse -
dont know
by VengeanceFury009 / August 6, 2008 12:11 AM PDT

i really dont know much about cmos or the jumpers. I have never touched them to my knowledge.

Collapse -
Try a shiny new IDE cable.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2008 12:58 AM PDT

You want the 80 CONDUCTOR type. This is the last hurrah before we wonder if the drives have seen better days or if they never got the bios quite right.

Do you remember the bad old days where they offered a start up delay in the bios so drives could spin up and be ready?

Collapse -
Alot to get going
by Willy / August 4, 2008 1:46 AM PDT

You can replace the PSU anytime to verify the power issue(increase wattage and amps), if that's the case. You seem to have a "stuffed system" and may take awhile to come up to speed or simply be acknowledged by the bios, the 4gb of ram being suspect and 4 drives. Very possibility all together abit too much at the start. The beta bios update if it didn't ID what it does, stay away from such updates of any kind. A bios update has to address an issue you've encountered.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
though why now?
by VengeanceFury009 / August 4, 2008 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Alot to get going

ive had this exact setup going for a year now and it has only started happening recently... do u still think it might be b/c of 4 ram sticks, 2 hdd, 1 optical, vid card, and fans all needing to be recognized? if this is the case would changing any bios settings help? such as turning on the delay start up?.... btw to Proffitt: i will probably be trying your suggestion soon and to everyone thanks for the input/advice.

Collapse -
by Willy / August 4, 2008 10:06 AM PDT
In reply to: though why now?

If you had the same system for 1 yr. then you've encountered wear&tear of the psu. They do degrade over time because of heat stress and/or added devices, etc.. You get the picture. Now, you've added a recent bios update you may have compounded the problem, never use a "beta" version even the manufacturers offer its at your "risk" sorta deal. Anyways, your PSU may no longer have the "phuuumf" to get things going as it did when brand new. Take away some added device like the CD drives, 1/2 of ram and see if it starts more quickly or more often than not. If the problem persists then you may have a mtrbd. issue, which includes the bios. HDs do go bad over time when mounted on top of each other as heat build-up is caught between the two and causes that sort of heat stress and cooks the electronics on them. You see it can be anything, don't take anything for granted, as you appear to because it worked for 1yr., now it doesn't as well. Wink

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -

So I just wanted to post that the problem is now solved after buying and installing a new psu : ocz 700 watt gamexstream psu. Thanks for everyone's input.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?