PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Power Supply/Motherboard issue

by dpryor5 / August 30, 2008 12:56 AM PDT

Hey, I'm a novice to fiddling around with computer hardware, so I apologize if I'm unclear with my description of the problem. It also seems particularly difficult to explain. I had my computer turn off on me randomly a few times, but I would just turn it on again and it would work. But, recently, I turned off the computer at night and when I tried to turn it on the next day, the computer wouldn't turn on.

The green light on the motherboard was not on, so I assumed the problem was with the power supply, though I wasn't exactly sure whether it was the PSU or the motherboard. But, I got my hand on another power supply (a new one) and when I attached the connectors to their proper positions in the internal devices, the computer still didn't work and the internal fan on the power supply didn't turn on, but the green light on the motherboard was on. This is where I'm stuck at right now and it's incredibly confusing.

When the first PSU (the one I assumed didn't work) was replaced, a friend did the job of taking out the connectors, so I didn't know exactly where each connector was initially. But, I looked through instructions on google and I think I did what I was supposed to do. I connected the 24-pin connector and also a 4-pin ATX12V connector to the motherboard. I also connected 4-pin molex connectors to the dvd drive, the hard drive, and two fans.

I'm not sure if I made a mistake there. I guess there might also be the possibility that the new power supply that I bought from newegg might be a malfunctioning product, but I think that's a very minute possibility, since the light on the motherboard turns on. It's probably more likely that I just screwed something up along the way.

I would appreciate any advice and help from you guys in solving this frustrating problem.

Thanks.

Here are my computer specifications, if needed:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-E nVIDIA nFORCE4 Ultra Chipset Serial ATA150 ATX AMD

Power supply (the new one): Rosewill RP500-2 500W ATX12V v2.01 Power Supply
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182016)

Graphics card: eVGA Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Power Supply/Motherboard issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Power Supply/Motherboard issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since it worked before, approach this as it it was dead.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2008 12:59 AM PDT

Type THE DEAD PC on google.com finds the usual advice. Here's mine.

Take a piece of card board and put it on your work area. Now place the motherboard (no cards, CPU, etc.) on it and your new PSU. Connect the AC line and then with a jumper hit the PWR ON pins. If it spins up you have 2 good parts. Now start adding more.
Bob

Collapse -
One quick thing....try the clear CMOS procedure.
by VAPCMD / August 30, 2008 3:14 AM PDT

Unplug the PC from AC power, remove the CMOS battery....replace if weak, change the jumpers to clear CMOS (as described in your MB manual) and let us know.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Motherboard
by dpryor5 / September 16, 2008 7:52 AM PDT

It's been a while, but the problem turned out to be the motherboard. It worked well for three years, but the product has been deactivated for a while. I'm not sure how to proceed to find a motherboard that can handle the rest of the components.

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939

Old Motherboard: ASUS A8N-E nVIDIA nFORCE4 Ultra Chipset Serial ATA150 ATX AMD

Graphics card: eVGA Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16

I would really appreciate any recommendations for motherboards that would work with this processor and graphics card at a minimum (even if it has better features.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Try here
by VAPCMD / September 16, 2008 12:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Motherboard
Collapse -
yeah
by dpryor5 / September 17, 2008 1:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Try here

Well, I hope so. I tried replacing the CMOS battery and I also tried starting from scratch outside of the case with just the PSU, mobo, ram, and the video card. It still didn't work, so I took it to a local computer shop and they confirmed that the motherboard was the problem. They wanted around 150-160 bucks to get a replacement motherboard and to install it. I thought about it and now, I'm considering just getting a new motherboard and processor (along with some RAM) and doing a basic upgrade for pretty much the same price plus some.

I don't know much about the products on the market, but I would guess that even those on the really low end are miles better than my current set up. I'm trying to find a decent, but solid motherboard and a processor that would total to around 200 bucks. Someone on another site recommended that I either go for the AMD 5400+ (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103289) or the Intel E5200 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116072) and try to find a motherboard for those.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.