Desktops forum

General discussion

Power Supply Issue?

Recently decided to shoot for a RAID array with two WD800JB hard drives, but I've been having problems ever since. Now, I just want to get the computer back up and running.

Here's the conundrum...as you can see below, I have a 420W PSU, which may or may not be a POS, up until I replaced my second hardrive with a WD800JB instead of a WD800BB to setup a RAID array, everything worked fine.

Now, when everything is properly jumpered, to the best of my knowledge, and forgetting about the RAID attempt, as I've abandoned it, I have two main power cables that can supply two devices and an a: drive (pardon my non-technical jargon). I have the HDs and the a: drive on one power cable (let's call it A), and the dvdrom on another (B). Under this setup, HDs show up fine in the BIOS with correct Master/Slave designations, but the DVDRom (jumpered as Master) does not at all, and its power light does not come on. If I switch the power cords A and B, so that the HDs and a: are on B and the DVDRom is on A, then the HDs do not show up at all in the BIOS, but the DVDRom does and its power light is on.

The only other problem that makes me hesitate to get a new PSU is that I can hook the bad power cord (B) up to the side fan and aux fan, and they both run fine. So there is some juice flowing through the B.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sys Info:

-EP-9NDA3+ S 939 NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra ATX AMD MB
-AMD Athlon64 3500+ FSB Socket 939 ADA3500AWBOX
-KINGWIN MTX425SW ATX Mid Tower Case w/ 420W PSU
-RW57LE-256D Geforce FX5700LE 256MB DDR AGP 4X/8X
-2X Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 184 DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered
-OptoRite 2-Tone IDE DVD Burner Model DD1205
-2X WD800JB 80GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Power Supply Issue?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Power Supply Issue?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Simple, try another PS,

In reply to: Power Supply Issue?

to try and troubleshoot disappearing drives when the molex connector is switched is done best by a swap.

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Simple, try another PS,

Thanks, Michael. I was pretty sure that was the case, but wanted to make sure. Is there a power supply you'd recommend based on my specs?

Collapse -
Just to test,

In reply to: Thanks

Collapse -
Thanks Again

In reply to: Just to test,

Hey, Mike. The new PSU saved the day. Thanks for your input.

Regards,
Brad

Collapse -
worth a look

Cool, Quiet, Solid as a rock and it has nice sleeved cables to keep the inside of your case tidy. Also Fortron gets solid reviews in regard to building quality Psu's. I have been using it about a month now and it is very stable PSU.

http://www.actbuy.com/details.asp?item=FS17500%2D2%2E0

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Nothings better than PC Power and Cooling psus

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Can't go wrong with Antec PSU's

In reply to: (NT) Nothings better than PC Power and Cooling psus

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.