General discussion

power supply dead - can I pull the internal HD and reuse?

I have a Gateway 505GR (I know, but I needed a computer fast) running Windows XP that has been a little work horse for me. Lately it has been giving me power problems so I was working on pulling all the files and backing up my Bookmarks/Favorites from MSN to Firefox and then to an html doc.

Then we had a power outage, not a surge - just an outage. My poor little dying PC kicked the bucket a little prematurely as I never got to pull the last stuff off the HD, including the damn Bookmarks. I had LOADS of those.

As I am planning on just building my own PC - would it be possible to either just reuse the Internal HD on the new one or to, at the very least, pull the information/files off of it to put on the new one??

The internal was actually a replacement that is only a year old if that makes any difference. Maybe I could make the internal an external and pull the files that way?

The cynic in me is prepared for the most annoying, if not the worst answer.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: power supply dead - can I pull the internal HD and reuse?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: power supply dead - can I pull the internal HD and reuse?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Well, you won't be able to just plug the old drive

into a new machine and boot from it. Windows will refuse this operation. If the drive is good, however, you should still be able to extract data from it and/or reuse it in other ways. How you do this depends somewhat on what type of drive it is versus what drive ports are available on your new machine. If it's an IDE aka PATA drive, it needs the same type of port. SATA likewise. New machines are primarily SATA but some have PATA ports. There's also the possibility of putting the drive into a USB external enclosure and using it that way.

- Collapse -
making it an external

is probably the way I will end up going. I didn't think it would be usable as a boot drive. Pulling the files would make me happy.

Thanks!

CNET Forums

Forum Info