General discussion

Power schemes don't work

Have Windows ME, HP Pavillion 8756C. I've recently begun having problems with my power schemes. Have them set to stand-by then go to hibernate but when I leave it on, they don't execute. When I go to power options and check it out, hit apply, then leave it on it works but just for that one time. Didn't have any problems until the last couple of months. Recently installed a new floppy drive but haven't done anything major other than that. Went thru the power options troubleshooting in 'help' but didn't find any answers there except for one of the steps that said to run 'susfail.txt' and got this message "Your computer could not Suspend or Hibernate,
because a device vetoed the Suspend or Hibernate request. " I also ran 'nohiber.txt' but it couldn't find that file. Checked for driver updates and there are none. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Lucy

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Power schemes don't work
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Power schemes don't work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
No. They don't.

I've run into far too many reasons from spyware to firewalls that don't let the machine sleep. Another common cause is an out of date driver and then this KILLER PROBLEM -> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296773

This fix is not available for download. Just another bizarre nail in this beloved OS's coffin.

Bob

- Collapse -
AHA!

That article makes sense especially since I also added another 128MB memory stick (for a total of 256MB)the same time I put in floppy drive. Sorry, I totally forgot about that. Thanks a bunch for your input. I really appreciate it! Lucy

CNET Forums

Forum Info