Desktops forum

General discussion

Power Save Mode

by xyrauchen / June 17, 2006 12:49 AM PDT

I own a Dell computer.
I recently moved. When I arrived at my new home and hooked up my computer, here's what happened:

computer started
screen came on and had the message "power save mode"
screen went off and no matter if I hit the mouse or keyboard, the screen does not come back on...unless I hit one of the buttons on the screen. When I hit this button, I see a message saying it is searching and then I get the message that it is in power save mode and the screen goes blank again.

I am a novice/ignorant woman when dealing with computers and have no idea how to trouble shoot this. Can anyone help?!?!?! Thanks so much.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Power Save Mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Power Save Mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Usually means the monitor has 'no signal'
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2006 1:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Power Save Mode

This doesn't tell us if your PC is working or not. Just that the monitor has no signal so the monitor decided to go to sleep.

Double check your work, especially the monitor to PC connections.

Bob

Collapse -
power save, continued
by xyrauchen / June 17, 2006 1:40 AM PDT

Can you help with troubleshoot whether it is my PC. It makes noises like it is running, but does that mean anything? Thanks for your response. C

Collapse -
No. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2006 2:08 AM PDT
In reply to: power save, continued

While I did note what to check, you didn't write back what you did check or any new information. One way communications such as this means I can't help you.

If you decide to check your work and more, do write back with ... details.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for your help
by xyrauchen / June 17, 2006 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: No. Here's why.

Sorry I've been vague. Am very embarrassed I don't know what I'm doing. I have checked to ensure my monitor is plugged into an electrical outlet and is securely attached from the monitor to computer (I've attached blue to blue and it appears there is only one place to plug into my pc). I have also checked my pc. It is plugged from the pc into an outlet. The keyboard and mouse are also secured into the pc. I will need to go back to my home to find the type of computer I have, etc. The only thing I know at this time is that it is a Dell, desktop, about 4 years old, and runs Windows XP. I have no clue if this info is helpful. I'll keep providing info as you ask. Thanks, again. C

Collapse -
Armed with this detail, it appears the machine is ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2006 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Power Save Mode

Not booting. THANKS FOR THE ADDED DETAILS since it gives a better view of the situation.

Given it was moved, I'd try the following. Remove the power cord from the PC. Open the PC cover and gently push what cards and cables you see into they slots and sockets. GENTLE is the key word here. It doesn't take a lot of force on most machines.

Leave the cover off, connect the power and watch inside the machine as well as the screen as you turn the PC power on. Tell what you see and HEAR. Fans turning? Beeps?

Bob

Collapse -
I'll do it
by xyrauchen / June 17, 2006 3:38 AM PDT

Unless my computer starts working after following your suggestions, I may not have access to a computer to reply until tomorrow. Thanks so much and I hope this is all it is. I'll let you know either way. I soooo appreciate your help! C

Collapse -
Thank you
by xyrauchen / June 20, 2006 12:33 AM PDT

Bob, I followed your directions and gently pushed everything back into place. Although I did not feel anything move, once I did this, my computer started up and everything is working. I appreciate your continued support on Sunday!! C

Collapse -
You're welcome.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2006 12:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

I wish the best of continued (self made) luck and hope you see that little details matter when posting in the forum since we only view your machine as presented in your posts. Often, just a few more clues are needed...

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?