Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

power meter battery status problem

by kerbro / November 25, 2008 2:05 PM PST

I am running windows xp professional SP3 on a Toshiba Satellite P-25 laptop. I recently changed batteries for the first time since I got the computer which is over 3 1/2 years. the old battery was the OEM Toshiba, I replaced it with a raytheon which has the correct specs. here is the problem after changing batteries I checked the power meter on my task bar,when I clicked on the battery icon which takes me to the battery status page, the old toshiba battery is showing up serial number and all. I hit the refresh button which is under the batttery and which is supposed to rectify the situation but the button does not depress. I have checked microsoft knowledge base to repair this problem to no avail. If I can just get the refresh button to work perhaps then the new battery will appear on the status page. Can someone advise me. thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: power meter battery status problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: power meter battery status problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look at the Toshiba . . .
by Coryphaeus / November 25, 2008 8:43 PM PST

web site for updated power/battery monitoring software. It's not a Windows problem.

Collapse -
Not a windows issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2008 9:16 PM PST

Either the battery is missing it's ID chip or there are new battery monitoring software. My bet is the battery is missing that chip.

Feel free to try SPEEDSWITCHXP and see if it does a better/same/worse job of reporting battery time but when I read or hear of your issue it's always because it's the wrong battery (not the battery itself, but that ID chip.)
Bob

Collapse -
power meter problem
by kerbro / November 25, 2008 11:47 PM PST
In reply to: Not a windows issue.

If new battery is missing and id chip I can understand why it is not being read, but the old battery has been removed why is the computer still reading it in the battery status page?

Collapse -
Ask a ninja.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2008 11:56 PM PST
In reply to: power meter problem

I'm am 'embedded programmer' so from my view it would be a smart move to write my status software in such a way that my battery when missing 'hangs around.'

There is NO STANDARD for this area and it's not a Microsoft or Microsoft support issue.

At this point it reads just like the ID chip is the wrong one, gone missing, the code (driver) works that way or there is a procedure given by the laptop maker that you must do when you put in a new battery. Since you didn't get the maker's battery all bets are off.

You may have to be thankful it works.

How did SPEEDSWITCHXP fare?
Bob

Collapse -
power meter prroblem
by kerbro / November 26, 2008 2:31 PM PST
In reply to: Ask a ninja.

Ninja, thanks for your input. you are right I am glad it works.
I have not checked out the software you recommended yet due to the fact I am getting in rather late and I will check it out in the morning.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?