Computer Help forum

General discussion

Power Management/Task Schedule Issue

by matto / July 7, 2004 2:46 AM PDT

I am running the dreaded Windows ME system at work, but I think this question pertains to most Windows operating systems. I use AVG Anti-Virus and it is set up to automatically check for updates and automatically run a complete scan every 24 hrs. However, based on the logfile, it appears that it has only been running the test roughly every 10 days. If the machine goes into standby mode, will this prevent the scheduled anti-virus activity from taking place? That is all I could think of that might prevent the sceduled task from taking place. I have used PCs heavily since 1991, so I feel like a novice asking this question, but the answer has eluded me thus far.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Power Management/Task Schedule Issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Power Management/Task Schedule Issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Power Management/Task Schedule Issue
by Edward ODaniel / July 7, 2004 3:25 AM PDT

Yes, that could well interfere with updating.

AVG has a problem with updating anyway and although it is wise to leave it set to auto check for updates it is adbvisable to MANUALLY check at least once a day--only takes a few seconds.

Collapse -
Re: Power Management/Task Schedule Issue
by matto / July 7, 2004 3:39 AM PDT

Thanks to Edward for the quick response. To take the question a little further, does standby mode override any scheduled tasks, or are there things that can happen when the machine is in standby?

Collapse -
Not implemented.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2004 3:41 AM PDT

Microsoft didn't implement a wake up system, so any scheduled task will not be done.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?