Mac OS forum

General discussion

power mac g3

by DGREGO5558 / March 4, 2005 1:26 AM PST

im not familer with apple computers and i just puchased a power mac g3 power pc i need to know what version of apple operating system it has so i can buy a recovery disc. it works fine but all of the old owners files are on it and i just want to do a clean install.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: power mac g3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: power mac g3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
OS 9.0
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 4, 2005 3:17 AM PST
In reply to: power mac g3

I am going to assume that you have the Beige G3 and not an iMac G3.
The operating system you should be looking for is OS 9.2.2
I would say that you should look toward OS X but in its original configuration it was a little sluggish for 10.2.x (Jaguar) which is as high as you can go with the Beige G3
Any of the Mac mail order catalogs, MacMall/CDW/MacZone/etc. will be able to fix you up with a copy of it. You can even buy it from the Apple store. The copy you get on CD may not be 9.2.2 but it will be close enough and you can upgrade the system to 9.2.2 from there.
Depending on what programs are already on the machine and what programs you have CD's for, will be the deciding factor on what sort of install you do. "Clean Install" on a Mac does NOT entail formatting the drive. It just puts a virgin copy of the OS onto the drive and all the applications and files are left intact.
If you are happy to destroy all the apps on the machine, you should initialise the drive (like a format only quicker) and then install OS 9.x
Once installed and configured, you should update the OS to 9.2.2 .These are free downloads from Apple.
Oh, BTW, to see what OS is currently on the machine, go to the Apple Menu (Top left of screen) and select "About this Computer" (If the system is old, it may say "About this Mac")
If you need to know anything else, just holler

Hope this all helps

P

Collapse -
G3
by DGREGO5558 / March 4, 2005 5:04 AM PST
In reply to: OS 9.0

yeah it's the beige G3. it has aol 5.0 on it and i can sighn on as a guest because the old owners scren names are still there but the web brosers are old (ie 3 & netscape 3)and wont let me do much as a java error keeps coming up. i tried downloading a copy of netzero for mac but it wont let me get that far. iv'e tried to email my self some updates from my windows pc but my dial up is slow. will the mac read the files if i put them on a cd from my windows pc ?

Collapse -
G3
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 4, 2005 5:29 AM PST
In reply to: G3

You really need to get this machine up into the late 20th Century. Buy a copy of OS 9, format the drive and install the system. This will give you IE 5 and the ability to do much more on the web. Unfortunately, AOL is still at version 5.0 for Mac but AOL sucks anyway.
If you download updates, for the MAC, on your Windows machine, put them on a CD, then the Mac will open them and be able to use them. However, I have a feeling that you are trying to use Windows updates and that will not work.
What Operating System is the G3 running right now and how much memory, RAM, does it have?

P

Collapse -
"Brain-dead" Power Mac G3- beige
by Bob Bloch / May 18, 2005 11:09 PM PDT
In reply to: OS 9.0

My 'brain-dead' G3-beige also needs help but there is no OS installed. If "full install" does not format my HD what shd i do to install an OS from CD ?? Is there a bootable floppy (like Win) which allows formatting ?

Thanx,
BB

Collapse -
Installing OS 9
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 18, 2005 11:16 PM PDT

Bob,
You will need the OS 9 installation CD to complete this project. You will be booting the machine from this CD. It is really quite easy to do. Start up the G3 and insert the CD into the CDROM. Hold down the "C" key until you see the "Happy Mac". Follow the on-screen instructions for an "easy install" Everything after that is automatic.
If you really want to format the drive to begin with, you will find the Disk Utility by double clicking the CD icon on the desktop. Select your drive and 'Initialise" it. Then go back to the installer and continue.
At the end of the installation, you will have a brand new system folder on the HD which should be capable of booting the G3. Restart and follow the rest of the instructions

Hope this helps

P

Collapse -
Mrmacfixit?
by tfizzle / August 11, 2005 6:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Installing OS 9

This is'nt about OS 9 but I saw that you were able to answer ?'s about G3. This is a B&W Power PC G3. 450 MHZ. 128 MB of memory(is this alot?not enough?). This was in the U of San Diego library until they upgraded to G5's. I'm new to mac, but have been able to update to 10.2.8

Fantasy sports and 1000's of mp3's are 99% of what I use it for. Do you think this OS is a good fit?

I am constantly getting error reports that say programs can't do what I ask them to because "Hard Drive is full. Free up more space". What does that mean and what do you recommend?

Hope to read from you. Thanks

Collapse -
B & W G3
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 11, 2005 9:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Mrmacfixit?

128MB of RAM is the bare minimum for that machine running 10.2.8
Consider doubling that, at least. If you can afford it, max it out.
iTunes will be able to support all of your MP3's, once you get them into the iTunes library but the error messages you are getting about HD space are worrisome.
Go to the Apple menu and select System Profiler and let us know what size HD is installed on the machine. It is probably very small compared with current HD sizes. You will also find System profiler in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder.
Could you be a little more specific about what programs and what you are trying to make them do, when you get the error messages.

P

Collapse -
HD sizes
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 11, 2005 10:48 PM PDT
In reply to: B & W G3

The B & W came with a choice of 3 HD sizes. 6GB & 12GB was the choice for IDE drives and 9GB for the LVD SCSI drive. It's unlikely that you have the SCSI one.
RAM will max out at 1Gb. If you don't want to spend too much on RAM, aim for 512MB, at least. There are 4 memory slots so you should not have to discard any. Even MP3's take up space, so the original HD's will soon become full. Consider a larger drive but do not go above 120GB as this system will not recognise anything over 127GB. Seagate are, or were, doing a promo with their 120MB for $39 after mail-in rebates. Installing a second drive is something you can do yourself.

P

Collapse -
Glad you are still here
by tfizzle / August 12, 2005 9:07 PM PDT
In reply to: HD sizes

O.K. I hope this enough:

disk size = 9.55 GB 11 GB unit number = 0
devise model = WDC WD102AA

MEMORY OVERVIEW list 4 places. The first says 128 MB, the other 3 say empty. This must be the 4 you spoke of.

FIREWIRE INFO-No firewire devices found ( How bad is that?)

I have already put close to 3000 mp3's in itunes. After deleting all the duplicate songs and incomplete downloads from Limewire O then moved all the programs that I tried to load, only to find out I needed 10.3 or higher, I have'nt been getting as many. Adobe Photoshop did not work once. ACDsee crashed everytime and Limewire would say it couln't move d/l's to hard disk for said reason. ( I know limewire is not the best type of program for any computer)

And finally(for now), $40 is about the amount I can afford. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

Collapse -
Yet more stuff
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 12, 2005 10:19 PM PDT

Ok, you are in reasonably good shape here but you will have to realize the current system restrictions. Your first move, once you save up your cash, is to add extra memory. At least another 128MB. You are currently operating with just the bare minimum of RAM. This will give the machine more breathing room. You are correct, this was the four to which I referred.
To work with your limited supply of RAM, only open ONE program at a time. Once the system gets this low, it starts to use the HD as RAM. Not only does this slow the machine down, it prevents you from using large chunks of the HD for storage.
No Firewire devices found is not a bad thing. Unless you happen to have one plugged in. Happy Your machine has two Firewire ports on the back of it. These look a little like old church doors. Straight at the bottom with a rounded top. (kinda arched) No other connector will go into them so don't worry about it.
We still need to know the amount of free space you have on your HD. Double click the HD icon and at the bottom of the window it should say how many items are in that window and how much space is available. Pass that info on.
Stop downloading stuff from Limewire. Not only is it illegal, it is also clogging up your machine. I'm guessing that with only 40 bucks you do not have a camera attached to the G3. IF that is correct, why download ACDsee? A lot of the files offered on P2P networks are incomplete and you are exposing your machine to any malicious file writer. You obviously have not heard of the cretin who wrote a script that deleted the users document folder and posted it on Limewire as MS Office for Mac. The file was only a few hundred Kb. The number of idiots who downloaded it was amazing.
If you are approaching the limit on your HD, you will have to seriously consider trashing the stuff you don't have a license for.

Let me know the HD size

P

Collapse -
Peter is better at this but...
by grimgraphix / August 11, 2005 10:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Mrmacfixit?

I recently had the same experience with my 1.2 ghz iBook with 256 worth of memory running 10.3.9 and this is what I came up with...

OS 10 has a virtual memory that takes space from the hard drive when RAM is not present to do the job... While mac is amazingly good at remaining stable while having tons of programs and functions open at one time it is not perfect ( don't kill me Pete !!! ) and you eventually reach a point where your hard drive's capacity is nearly full. The only recourse is to start closing programs to free up your virtual memory and ultimately restart to reset the hard drive back to the full potential of whatever space you have left on your HD ! This started happening to me due to my running big jobs - photoshop, iPhoto and several browsers - all at once. I was down to a couple of gigs left on my hard drive space... I suspect you are at this same point. Two points.

First, when I ran pc you could get programs to manage your RAM usage to optimize or even clear it while working. I don't know if mac has something similar but you might do a google for managing RAM in os 10.

Second, OS 10 seems to depend on having at least 700 mb of slack space if you intend on burning off any info to cd. Unfortunately, if your " Hard Drive is Full" then you wont have room to run the native cd burning utility to store this info ! I was forced to store some stuff on a usb pocket drive until I could clear my Ram by restarting... THEN the os allowed me to burn a disk.

Ultimately it sounds like you need at least one of two things. A back up hard drive and/or more RAM.

I only started with os 10 in Feb so please, everyone jump in if there is something I missed.

grim

Collapse -
Thanks Grim
by tfizzle / August 12, 2005 9:43 PM PDT

After using Version Tracker to update a few programs, i get the feeling she's just about at the breaking point again. There is no CD burner (again, it belonged to the U of San Diego campus library. However It did come with a Imation SuperDisk USB Drive(floppy). I see where the 5 volt power supply goes, but the next connection has a pix of a monitor (maybe a computer?). Either way its skinnier and longer than the connecter on my monitor. What is that? The third input I assumed was for the USB cord, but it's alot smaller than any USB cord I've seen, besides digital cameras.
Any ideas, anyone?
And on a completely different topic, when I download something with mac, they are .dmg or .sitand not the .exe or.zip. I was used to. Can I trash those after download is complete?

Thank you. i'm sure you've answered that question 1000 times.

Collapse -
SuperDrive
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 12, 2005 10:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Grim

The device to which you are referring was called a SuperDrive before Apple started using the term for the DVD/CD burner that comes in their machines. There were two different types. Once was for a ZIP disk and the other for a Floppy. As you are a PC person, I'm sure you know the difference. The device is really not worth bothering with. Mac's have not been equipped with a floppy since the introduction of the first iMac. For some reason, this seems to freak out the average PC user who never actually uses a floppy but has to have one! Note that Dell offer the floppy as an optional extra!
The icon of the "monitor" is the usb port that connects to the computer. I'll pass on the tiny connection. Place the entire device in a box, put it in the closet and forget about it. Get yourself a Thumbdrive, 128MB or more, and never give the floppy another thought. Be brave, step away from the floppy! Happy
Files that are downloaded for the Mac are, as you say, either .dmg or .sit. The .dmg files are actually images of the original, right down to the folder placement inside the windows. Once you have installed the program, you can delete them. .sit files are compressed to make them smaller and to ensure that they remain in one piece in transit. Again, once decompressed, the original can be deleted. Another type you may come across is the .hqx files. These are encoded in BinHex for transit and it is the standard encoding method for Mac. You may even see .sit.hqz on the same file. Once decoded, it needs to be unstuffed. Stuffit can deal with it all.
You may still see .zip files on Mac files. Stuffit will open them too. .exe, .com, etc. will NOT run on the Mac, but you knew that.

P

Collapse -
Super Drive
by tfizzle / August 13, 2005 2:55 PM PDT
In reply to: SuperDrive

These things actually make great door stops, so if you any doors that like to shut themselves, pull that box out of the closet.
Seriously mrmac, thanks again for the help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!